Appeal for autistic child in Slough

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
KatharineB

Appeal for autistic child in Slough

Post by KatharineB »

I have just received my daughter's score for Slough today. She missed the eligible score of 111 by one mark unfortunately and got 110. We have quite a worry now with an appeal. I have several issues that are quite specific so wanted to ask for advice.

She has moderate scaled autism diagnosed by CAHMS and we are in receipt of Disability Living Allowance. She needs a local school which unfortunately are all grammars from our house. She has no natural navigation and low awareness of danger so needs a short walk. We are right by St Bernards and Upton Grammar which are a copeable walk else I need to give up my job to drive her elsewhere.

She scored above average level 3s in all her year 2 Sats and is in the top sets at school but she has been having problems with bullying and anxiety throughout this process and was off school for several days sick before the exam.

We did not have a Educational Healthcare Plan done yet but are in the process of doing it but it takes 4 months so she won't be considered under this bracket for her application despite being diagnosed with autism, processing delays, social issues and dysfluency. Shes under SENCo but has to go through the CAF application for now.

What is the next step for me? I am so proud she scored what she did despite everything and we did not have the finances to pay for any private tuition along the way. We also had complaints on the test day at the grammar school. The kids requiring a separate quiet space came out saying that they were thrown with the test timings as they could hear the tape from the room next door. I have no idea if this had much influence on score but when she's missed the eligible mark by 1 it does make you wonder. She was also not allowed to come and be familarised with the test environment (unlike other test locations) so was highly anxious on the day.

We talked to SENco at Upton who were great and advised that they could offer her even a one on one 11+ exam due to her needs but unfortunately we got allocated a school for testing that doesn't have much in the way of any SENco provision. Should I have been able to request a specific test location for her? I'm not sure how it works.

Sorry for the long explanation but the advice is always great and supportive on here. Any would be highly appreciated.
exam2019

Re: Appeal for autistic child in Slough

Post by exam2019 »

Put the school you think will be best for your daughter at the top of your CAF.
I assume from what you have posted that this is the grammar, but it might not be by the time you fill in your form.

To be able to appeal you have have applied via the CAF and then not be offered a place.

If you haven't already you must speak to learning support at all of the schools you are looking at.
Some grammars are excellent for SEN and others are dreadful.
When speaking to them you will get a feel for how good they might be - who seems to just say "we provide the support they need" "we don't have many children with SEN etc", versus those who seem to know what kids with ASD need and offer good pastoral care packages and give specific examples of how they can help? How do they support transitions etc? Do they do circle of friends or social skills classes? buddying? Do your nearest schools sound like they are up to the challenge of doing extra things for her?

You will have to think about which school can offer your child the support she needs rather than which is nearest or prestigious. If she genuinely has issues with orientation you my qualify for school transport for example.
Don't pick a school based on distance - go for the one with the essential mixture of structure but flexibility.
Look at all of your options.

What exam accommodations were offered to your daughter?
I think that not being able to tour the exam facilities in advance is a major disadvantage to an aspie and could easily have knocked marks off. Ditto the issue with noises from adjacent rooms. If you think the school is a good fit it could be worth using this as the basis for an appeal.

I think you will have to read all the links on the sticky pages at the start of the appeals section and see what might apply and then post a more specific question if you decide to appeal.
exam2019

Post by exam2019 »

PS - can you get your psychologist at CAMHS to write you a letter for the social and emotional application criteria to support your CAF application? You would need to look up the admissions criteria but it might lower the pass threshold/increase priority for your application compared to other applicants?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)

Please read all the Appeal Q&As.
Start here.

It depends mainly on the strength of your academic evidence:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and on your reasons for wanting a place at the school being appealed for:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
See also "What are my chances at appeal?":
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a36" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You cannot appeal until March. Appeal hearings take place in the summer term.

As explained above, if you wish to appeal, you must include grammar schools on your CAF:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... aneous#e35" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Should I have been able to request a specific test location for her?
If there is a disability as defined by the Equality Act (e.g. long-term, more than minor/trivial, affecting day to day activities), then reasonable adjustments should have been available. You would have needed to ask for them, but ought to have been made aware of this in the 11+ information published for parents.
The admission authority would have decided what was reasonable in the circumstances.
Etienne
KatharineB

Post by KatharineB »

Thanks so much definitely lots to think about. Luckily I did go to all open evenings and met all the SENCO. Mine Sat hers at the grammar known for not catering is all I will say. She was in a smaller room for her exam and they had been informed of her needs. We were not offered a visit.

SENCO at school handed in paperwork when we applied but we were told we would get allocated a test venue by computer. That's not my issue anyway I'm more concerned about being able to potentially appeal for whichever school can best cater for her which I need to discuss with her SENCO coordinator. I'm more after info on how to go about the appeal process if needed. I will fill in CAF including all in case.

Transport is not something I had thought about but is worth investigating but at the same time she would need proper guidance through the journey. I'm a little bit lost if I'm honest. Upton's SENCO Miss Earle was fantastic and helped us with our app for the actual test so naturally we are drawn to that school which is walkable. St Bernards and Ditton were also good. The most commutable non grammar is Ditton but across several major roads including the London Road and Upton Court Road. I will look into the transport issues as a solution to that would be very helpful as we did love that school at open evening.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

She was in a smaller room for her exam and they had been informed of her needs. We were not offered a visit.
If they were aware of her needs, and you asked for a reasonable adjustment that was refused, it is worth mentioning at appeal.
Etienne
Amber

Post by Amber »

Nothing of any use whatsoever to add; just that it is very sad to me that a child with so many mountains to climb already now has to fight over one mark in an exam which clearly was maladministered to meet her needs. I have worked in the past with autistic children and feel so sad for parents who have to argue for basic provision. It does help to put into context some of the lesser issues many of us encounter. I wish you huge luck and hope someone sees sense very soon KatherineB.
Oblique

Post by Oblique »

You state that you are in the process of getting an EHCP. Have the Local Authority agreed to complete one or are you still waiting for a decision? If they agreed, when did they notify you? The LA have 6 weeks to notify you of their intent and once they have decided to go ahead with the process, they have 20 weeks to complete it. Year 6 children who already have an EHCP must have the secondary transfer EHCP completed by 15th Feb of the year of transfer.

I would suggest chasing up the LA as naming a school on an EHCP circumvents the CAF route. You may still need to appeal (EHCP appeals take a different route than normal) if, for example, you name a grammar school who refuse your request, based on the fact that your daughter didn't meet the qualifying score. However, missing by 1 mark with extenuating circumstances and a sympathetic school may be enough for them to offer a place. I wouldn't choose a school which wasn't sympathetic to my child's needs! As Amber rightly implies, a minor thing for a mainstream child can be a major meltdown inducer for one with additional needs. Anxiety, for example. Don't play down your daughter's current needs and have a view as to how those needs may change as she progresses through school. You mentioned bullying; a school full of hormonal girls might be more challenging for your daughter than a mix of boys and girls, as an example.

Speak to the SENCo's again at the schools you are considering. You and your daughter need to decide which school will be best for her. If you are in any doubt as to whether you will get an EHCP or if it will be completed in time, complete the CAF and name the school you really want in first place. You can only appeal to a school that has rejected your application. It is better to apply via both routes than not at all and the CAF deadline is looming.

Good luck!
KatharineB

Post by KatharineB »

We got her South Bucks result today and she also missed it by 1 mark. How frustrating! Also worth noting that she never received any extra time for her exam despite it being recommended by CAHMS and school as she gets extra time at school for tests. She was only offered a smaller room.

It's so frustrated being a mum of an ASD child it's felt like a constant fight to get her help through the years with constant form filling so it's a shame we are now having to consider a long drawn out appeal. I am keeping the appeal free from my daughter's knowledge for now as she is already having a tough time at the moment.

Thanks so much for the words of support.
Last edited by KatharineB on Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2littleboys

Post by 2littleboys »

We got her South Bucks result today and she also missed it by 1 mark as she got 121
121 is the qualifying score.

Please re check.

Fingers crossed for you. :)