Our (long) story - Unsuccessful Appeal.

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
LiseCook

Post by LiseCook »

The clouds seems to have lifted even further today - and again - its thanks to everyone of you on this forum. Etienne, I can only agree with you and respect your constructive feedback more than I think you realise.

We are going to sit tight for now and wait and see what happens in March. I will let our Daughter decide if she wants to sit the 12+. I guess her decision could depend on which school she ends up at and how she settles.

I wish we could all meet up for a glass of Vino somewhere - God knows there are several people I would like to buy a bottle for, as a way of thank you - and God knows we all need it after this ;)

Thank you ALL again

Lise xx
wraysburymum

Big hugs...

Post by wraysburymum »

So sorry to hear of your outcome. Our thoughts are with you all. Try not to beat yourselves up about what did or didn't make or break your appeal. Try some family-bonding time together then set about putting your energies into positive thoughts for the future.
I found that a few quid on the lottery was a positive step!
:P
wraysburymum
Lynsey

Post by Lynsey »

Lise
I'm sorry, too, about the disappointing outcome. Have not got much practical support to offer, but having read your posts I feel as though I know you from your expressive writing and am really upset for you. You seem so caring, I am sure you will make the right choices for your daughter - you must be a great role model for her. Best wishes to all your family.
caz34red

Post by caz34red »

Sorry to hear of your bad news but I am sure your DD will prosper with a wonderful Mother like yourself no matter where she is, well done for trying, your posts have been excellent for all those still in the process.

Regards
Caz34red
mummalea01

Post by mummalea01 »

Dear Lise, read your post with dismay and said a little prayer for you and your daughter. Hoping clouds will lift soon...how lucky she is to be so well supported by you. Better things will come. :(
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Dear Lise

Although I don't know you I absolutely feel for you and your dd and reading what you said here brought me to tears. I'm currently tutoring my dd and cannot imagine how you must be feeling. However that is why I really hope I can offer you a little hope.

I know of a girl at my sons primary school who went through what sounds like the same as your dd. She too was a very high achiever and everyone who knew her expected she would pass. I recall speaking with the Deputy Head(an expert on 11+) when my son came to do the test and he said because of what had happened with this young girl he would never again assume that someone would automatically pass. This young girl in particular just didn't do it on the day. Anyway I don't want to harp on about that but what I do know is that this lovely girl is is now in Grammar school. She too was turned down on her appeal(another big shock) but she and her parents decided she would sit the 12+ the following year. She did and she passed.

I did admire her parents and her for this as I cannot imagine how they must of felt coming up to the test again with all that had gone on before. However having spoken to her mum since(her second dd was in my sons class) she said they truly believed thier daughter would benefit from a Grammar education so they couldn't give up.

It must be very hard for you at present to even think about other options and you know what maybe try not to right now. Instead cry as much as you like (preferably when dd is not around) but also tell her it is ok for her to cry too. Don't talk about another test now as she and you could probably do with forgetting any type of test at present. Come on here as much or as 'less' as you wish right now(sometimes escaping is good) and just concentrate on getting your dd over this dissapointment as when you see she is coping you will too.

Wishing you well and hope time flies for you as we all know it is the best healer.

Mel
Katie

Post by Katie »

Hi,

I was very sory to hear about your experience.
Whilst it seems bleak at the moment - remember you can join the 12+ club if you feel it's worthwhile.
We are thinking about his right now and considering whether or not to give it a go.
PM me if you want to discuss further - we've had a difficult time over the last year but our little one is doing absolutely brilliantly at another school.I do feel for you and wish you all the very best.
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Hi Lise,

My heart goes out to you after reading your post.
I can only reiterate what others have already said: Your daughter will do well wherever she goes because a mum like you wouldn't fail her, even if it seems at present the system has.

Having been on the end of a successful appeal and read lots of other people's successful/unsuccessful posts. I honestly feel sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to the verdicts. We can only do the best we can, with the best we have.

Please give yourself and your daughter lots of TLC..
I can remember the night we found out the 11+ results, I curled up on the sofa with my daughter and a huge box of chocolates. It was a ghastly night, but one I will remember forever as it was a perfect bonding and sharing time. She looks back now and says "That it was the best bit about "not reaching the required standard."

Please give your daughter and yourself a big, warm hug from me, God knows you deserve one!

Thinking of you..

AM
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now