Using projects in an appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
denis denis

Using projects in an appeal?

Post by denis denis »

My son's class have all done a project in the last few weeks, some done at home, some done at school. He tells me that the teacher told them to do their best work because, in the event of an appeal, this is what "they" would look at. I can't believe that's right. Surely, any panel or whoever would know that a lot of parents would of got involved in these projects (and some have done 99% of the work I know) just in case it is used in an appeal.

Would'tn it make more sense to use their class work where all the work is the child's own?

:?

Denis denis
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It is not unknown for some schools to give misleading advice about appeals, I'm afraid.

Panels are not easily fooled.

The advice on this forum has always been not to submit carefully selected or specially prepared work.

Routine work in exercise books is what is required - in the KS2 subjects (English, Maths and Science).
Etienne
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

My year 5 dd came home last week and said she had been doing some tests at school that were very important as the results may be needed for an appeal. I commented to my daughter that maybe that was a good idea but my dd then said "so mum do you think I'll fail so will end up having to appeal!!" Oh dear I had to then reassure her that no I didn't think that at all. I wish the school would of kept quiet just as they like to do when us parents ask about the 11+

Mel
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Panels do look at projects. We're occasionally presented them by the parents. It's even been known for each of us to be presented with a colour photocopy, nicely bound. Very attractive. And because they're part of the appeal documentation, yes, we do look at them.

However, I get handed a large box full of appeals documents for 2 or 3 days of appeals. There's only so much time I have to study these things, so the amount of time I spend looking at the project is likely to be quite small, especially if there's routine work there.

As Denis said :
Surely, any panel or whoever would know that a lot of parents would of got involved in these projects (and some have done 99% of the work I know) just in case it is used in an appeal.

Absolutely. We're not silly. Most of us know how these projects are done.

Now in my personal case, our assistance for DD's Y5 term 1 project (Rivers) was
1) providing a day trip over to Hereford, shopping there, us & DD taking 'photos of the Wye (us taking the ones DD wanted to be in), then driving down to Chepstow with stops at Ross, Symonds Yat, & Tintern for peaks at information boards, photo ops and the like. This had to be fun for both children. Then downloading the pics onto a PC for DD to select & print.

2) Suggesting the Rhine for 3rd chapter (I'd got a book about rivers, flood controls & the like in The Netherlands).

3) Taking her on trips to the library for her to find other books.

That's it. All we did. But I know other parents who did a lot, lot more. So I don't personally put a lot of weight onto projects when given them.

Capers
Capers
denis denis

Post by denis denis »

Thanks for your replies, you have put my mind at rest a bit! I was out with a friend yesterday who was delighted that her son had scored really well on his project (which she had alsmot single handedly done) because in the event of an appeal, she was sure the project would swing things for him :?
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Oh, I should have said:

The other thing we did for your daughter's project was:

NAG. As in "Don't forget you've got to do 2 pages this weekend - have you done them yet?".

Although we often find ourselves with no time at the weekends for her to do it - if we're away for various reasons...
Capers
denis denis

Post by denis denis »

capers123 wrote:Oh, I should have said:

The other thing we did for your daughter's project was:

NAG. As in "Don't forget you've got to do 2 pages this weekend - have you done them yet?".

Although we often find ourselves with no time at the weekends for her to do it - if we're away for various reasons...
We did lots of nagging as well!