Bucks appeal advice

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Guest55

Re: Bucks appeal advice

Post by Guest55 »

Did you read Etienne's thread in the Bucks section? It's section B you need. You need to show why AHS is the right school for your daughter - just being a GS is not a strong enough reason nor is Science.

The school is full so you have to convince the panel that your daughter's needs outweigh the prejudice of having to take another student.

It is a very long way to travel - I hope you have got a more local option? There are good schools in Luton.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Aye zee wrote:It’s a well known fact that mostly parents wants to send their kids to grammar school.they are good with competitive environment.
No it is not. Most parents, given the choice, don't, as the alternative is a secondary modern, and aspirant parents voted against that many years ago. There is no peer reviewed evidence to suggest that 'they are good' with this environment.
Aye zee wrote:Students studying there are serious in their studies.
Not necessarily, there is no evidence to support this assertion, indeed it may be that the (recent) rise in parental involvement means that the opposite is true, that parents may be focused but DC are DC no matter how hot-housed.
Aye zee wrote:I am serious about going there
You are not going there, they are not selecting you.
Aye zee wrote: that’s why I work hard with my daughter and she passed her exam
It might be helpful if your DD had passed the exam based on her ability perhaps, but allocation is on distance, and she does not live near enough to qualify.
Aye zee wrote:.what else proof they need.i don’t have any extenuating circumstances
You have no proof. They allocate on distance and you live too far away. That is their admissions policy.
Aye zee wrote:.I know AHS comes in top school list but they knew it, it’s quiet flattering to mention that
Flattery will get you nowhere.
Aye zee wrote:I am really confuse about reasons. If u have any links that are similar to my case please sent it will be really helpful.Thank you for ur help.
You have already been provided with numerous links which explain admissions and your situation.
Many DC are suited to grammar school, but most do not live in a grammar area, so do not have that 'privilege'and have to rely on their own abilities to succeed.
If your daughter is as you describe of her own accord I am sure she will do well no matter what.
mad?
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Aye zee I really feel for you and wish that we could all talk to you rather than having to write it down because it seems as though it might be easier for you to process. Most parents do not aim for grammar schools, even most parents of very able and dedicated students but some do. Comprehensive schools get very good results for able and dedicated students too. Look at the results of the school your daughter has been allocated but, if you can, look at the results of the most able entrants to that school. Even at schools with poor results there will be children getting strings of A*, A and Bs, getting brilliant A levels and going to brilliant universities to get great degrees. Even in grammar schools there will be children taking drugs and not bothering to study.
It would be lovely if wishing something could happen made it happen. But you can't make the school accept your daughter just because she scored >121. She lives too far away. You can appeal on the grounds that you think that that school is right for her in a way that no other school is right for her - but all the other appellants are going to be doing exactly the same thing and believing exactly the same thing about their child.
By all means try and appeal but also get used to the school that she's been offered and come to terms with that. And if you really feel that you can't then you need to move to Bucks (or nearer at least) and hope that a space becomes available - but if it doesn't then the school your daughter attends might be no different from the one she's been offered now.
I'm sure you were given bad advice before about sitting the Bucks 11+ but the advice you've been given by G55 and mad? above is honestly good advice...
Aye zee

Post by Aye zee »

loobylou and mad? thank u for ur honest opinion.
It’s not like I m asking for making history here, it happened in past years as well where AHS gave admission with the OA of almost 19.469m .
We r definitely moving to Aylesbury, I m only waiting for her result.i knew many people from Luton who secure their places in past years.
I am not judging any school.i am sure Luton schools are good as well. But every one strives for the best, thats what I m doing here for my daughter.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

I'm afraid it really doesn't matter what happened before, it's only this year that matters. This year there are too many children who passed the test who live closer to the school than you.

Which school will your daughter go to if you move to Aylesbury? If the schools there are full your daughter will have a long journey every day. There is no guarantee that a space at the grammar will become available. And someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think moving will necessarily help you at appeal.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Aye zee wrote: It’s not like I m asking for making history here, it happened in past years as well where AHS gave admission with the OA of almost 19.469m .
That was in 2009!! And it was driving distance, not straight line distance - that can make a substantial difference.

Only in 3 of the last 13 years would your daughter have stood a real chance of gaining a place at the school, the last time was in 2014 and since then there has been significant housing development in the area. You were very badly advised to put her in for the Bucks test.
Blue_Marigold

Post by Blue_Marigold »

streathammum wrote:Which school will your daughter go to if you move to Aylesbury? If the schools there are full your daughter will have a long journey every day. There is no guarantee that a space at the grammar will become available. And someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think moving will necessarily help you at appeal.
I think the only school in Aylesbury that potentially has spaces is Aylesbury Vale Academy.

I am not sure but if you move to Aylesbury you will move higher up the waiting list but still have to wait for a grammar school place to become available. But after a while the 11+ score expires so you have to resit the test. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now