Appeal kefw advice

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tisha0407

Appeal kefw advice

Post by tisha0407 »

Hi just a quick question my husband died very suddenly in 2015 my older son is at kefw but my youngest only scored 223 in the paper I am in the process of being made redundant and desperately want them at the same school. Both my 2 local comprehensive schools are ranked very badly so my only choice will be Bishop Vesey which is a 40 min train journey. Obviously both boys were devastated by the loss of their dad and I have ptsd as a result of the circumstances. My youngest has separation anxiety and to this day still sleeps with me so I am worried how he would cope so far away. Is it worth appealing due to circumstances?
Etienne

Re: Appeal kefw advice

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals, and I'm so very sorry to hear what your family has been through.

You probably ought to try appealing (whilst realising that the success rate is thought to be very low).

How to counter oversubscription is discussed here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- but you already have good reasons for wanting a place (sibling connection, proximity and family circumstances).
Make sure that you put together relevant evidence such as a letter of support from your GP and the current school.

What might also help is if you could provide evidence that the 11+ score was not a true reflection of ability.
See section B of our Q&As:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... ication#b1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
    • This section might also be relevant if the 11+ score was one of the admission criteria, and the score achieved was not high enough to gain a place. If you have sufficient evidence of academic ability – and possibly of extenuating circumstances too – then, in addition to any arguments dealing with the oversubscription part of the appeal, you may wish to argue that your child was expected to perform even more highly in the 11+ than he/she did.
Can you prove very high academic ability? See:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
tisha0407

Post by tisha0407 »

Hi
I have a head teacher testimonial (well deputy head as the head is very new)
I will get the doctors to do a note too
I have been unable to find any info on success rates as they just don’t seem to publish consortium data as appeals aren’t held by the council it doesn’t seem to be in the public domain
I too am pessimistic but do feel that if this doesn’t at least warrant a hearing don’t know what does!
Wildfuture

Post by Wildfuture »

Of all the reasons you hear for appealing, your case is certainly genuine. Its not as if your child is a million miles away score wise either. You have nothing to lose by appealing.
You can ask the consortium for appeal data or submit an FOI, but it's really irrelevant anyway as every case is different.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now