Offered a place, can we appeal for a different grammar?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Photek

Offered a place, can we appeal for a different grammar?

Post by Photek »

Hi there,

DD has been offered a place at Sleaford. We've spoken to KGGS - who have stated that an appeal would be a waste of time since a grammar school place has already been offered. May I ask if there is any truth in this? DS is at Kings (I appreciate that this isn't really an argument, but we would be keen for both to attend a school in Grantham for the obvious logistical reasons).

Any help would be truly appreciated.

Thank you,

P
Mumtutu

Re: Offered a place, can we appeal for a different grammar?

Post by Mumtutu »

Photek wrote:Hi there,

DD has been offered a place at Sleaford. We've spoken to KGGS - who have stated that an appeal would be a waste of time since a grammar school place has already been offered. May I ask if there is any truth in this? DS is at Kings (I appreciate that this isn't really an argument, but we would be keen for both to attend a school in Grantham for the obvious logistical reasons).

Any help would be truly appreciated.

Thank you,

P
Hi there, one of the problems, if it’s just a case of wanting Grantham rather than Sleaford is showing exactly why KGGS is the only school for your DD and that she will suffer prejudice by going to Sleaford. I wouldn’t be put off by what the school says alone because they don’t know your circumstances, but if you look around the appeals section you will see someone who went through an appeal on this basis and their child’s high score and sadly failed but they were in Newark and there is transport available as lots of girls go to Sleaford from there. So you might want to see if you can find an additional angle as well to bolster your own case.

Etienne’s guide below might help you gather your thoughts and get some ideas you might not have thought of.

Have you found out where your DD is on the waiting list?

Good luck!

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... school#c19" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

At the end of the day, you ranked the schools in a particular order for a reason and yes, I can sort of see the 'what are you moaning about, you got a grammar school, didn't you?' argument, but if you have reasons for wanting school 1 more than school 2 and you were allocated school 2, it is your legal right to present your reasons at a formal appeal hearing (not that I am encouraging folk to indulge in 'frivolous' appeals, but the mechanism is there and you are entitled to use it :) ).

I do hope the HT isn't trying to imply that you wouldn't get a fair hearing at appeal. You are appealing for a place at School 1, not against the place you were allocated at school 2.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to the forum! :)

I agree with Mumtutu - don't be put off by what the school says. They don’t know all your circumstances. In the event of an appeal it's their job to oppose you, so they aren't meant to be an impartial source of advice!

I see no reason why you shouldn't appeal for the school you want. I assume it was ranked higher on your CAF, so your preferences are quite clear. Ultimately it depends what the panel - not the school - think of your reasons for seeking a place.

Typical reasons can be found here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See also Chances of Success:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a36" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... school#c20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne