Twin appeal Lincs

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Castlerock

Twin appeal Lincs

Post by Castlerock »

Since Thursday I've been having a good read through all the wonderful information on this site.

For our specific situation, we have boy/girl twins who both met the minimum entry criteria for Lincolnshire - we're out of county. Kings and KGGS in Grantham were our preferred option for them. Our son was offered a place at Kings, but our daughter wasn't for KGGS. The schools use different criteria to rank, Kings used the test mark and KGGS distance.

My daughter is obviously deeply disappointed. We're waiting to hear where she is on the waiting list but wanted to turn our thoughts to the appeal process. I'd be very grateful if anyone has any advice or comments.
Etienne

Re: Twin appeal Lincs

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to the forum! :)

So sorry to hear about the stress this sort of situation creates.

Twins ought to be mentioned in passing as part of your case, but with different schools involved, the panel will note that there's going to be an inevitable degree of separation, so I would caution against making it your main point (unless there are other factors that we're not aware of).

At the moment I think your best hope is to focus on "Why this particular school?".
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Castlerock

Post by Castlerock »

Thanks so much for your reply.

Around the separation, it does reflect how much they both wanted to attend the respective schools that they were prepared to separate. So its sounds like it would be helpful to include that around 'why this particular school'?

How much weight is usually given to logistics? They would have been travelling together had they both been offered places. As things stand now they won't and will be in different counties.

Thanks again.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Castlerock wrote:Around the separation, it does reflect how much they both wanted to attend the respective schools that they were prepared to separate. So its sounds like it would be helpful to include that around 'why this particular school'?
Yes, commitment is worth a mention. But why is she so committed to this particular school? :)
How much weight is usually given to logistics? They would have been travelling together had they both been offered places. As things stand now they won't and will be in different counties.
It would be 'nice' if they could travel to school together, but as an argument it may not sound very compelling.
For a logistical argument to carry weight, the circumstances would usually have something to do with extreme difficulty or urgent need.
See also: https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... school#c19" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Castlerock

Post by Castlerock »

Thanks Etienne for helping me get the sense of balance here. One general question I had was how selection via distance versus pass mark impacts the appeals process. Having read a lot of the cases on here they're based around pass marks and we've not received that for our daughter, just notification she made the minimum standard.

These are the criteria for this year's admissions:

A. Looked after children and all previously looked after children
B. There is a sibling at the school who is attending when the application is made.
C. The distance from the home to the school. Priority will be given to the child living nearest the school, as defined in note.

There were two more points I would very much appreciate input on if possible but would it be OK share via PM?

Many thanks!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Castlerock wrote:One general question I had was how selection via distance versus pass mark impacts the appeals process.
It's entirely up to individual panel members what they give weight to. (Have I understood the question correctly?)
Having read a lot of the cases on here they're based around pass marks and we've not received that for our daughter, just notification she made the minimum standard.
If you want the score, you could try a subject access request:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b47" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There were two more points I would very much appreciate input on if possible but would it be OK share via PM?
Unfortunately your PM won't get through! - but we do have a system for emailing confidential background information.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 23#p108023" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It depends whether you would be comfortable discussing the issues in very general terms on the forum.

Hope this helps.
Etienne
spud04

Post by spud04 »

KGGS will give you her score if you ring up and ask to speak to the eleven plus coordinator.
Castlerock

Post by Castlerock »

Thank you both - I’d not realised they would, they sounded adamant at the open evening that they didn’t release them.

Would the panel have access to the scores or is that only if the parents include it in the appeal?
spud04

Post by spud04 »

It might possibly have changed with the new headmaster (well - coming up for two years). They certainly did until very recently if you specifically asked although they have never been released on the paperwork. It's worth a try.
Sarah1865red

Post by Sarah1865red »

Unfortunately my daughter has missed out on KGGS due to oversubscription too. I rang the school admissions today and they were very helpful. I asked for her score and she gave it me with no hesitation - not sure how it will help in an appeal but it felt right that my daughter got to find out her score. I hope you have managed to speak to admissions today and are feeling slightly more positive.