Berks Kendrick Appeals- looking for parents who did for info

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
semb

Re: Berks Kendrick Appeals- looking for parents who did for

Post by semb »

I appealed for Kendrick a few years back now. I would just echo what Tinkers and Reading Mum have said really. As far as I understand it, as your daughter has qualified it is an oversubscription appeal and therefore the only grounds upon which you can succeed is by demonstrating that your daughter's need for a place at the school outweighs the prejudice caused to the school by admitting an extra pupil. So that should be your focus.

I tried to follow the excellent advice from this forum (from extremely knowledgeable Etienne in particular) but unfortunately I was unsuccessful. I'm not sure what amount of evidence would outweigh the school's case really, as at the time I felt I had a lot. I can understand your desire to want to give it a try, really I can, but as others have said, realistically the chances are not high.

Hopefully you have an alternative school you are reasonably happy with.

Best of luck
Caithlinn

Post by Caithlinn »

Thanks, semb.

I appreciate the warnings, and if it doesn't happen, then it doesn't. The trouble is, the school that was offered is in special measures and absolutely not what I am happy with. So I have to make sure for my daughter's sake, that I am trying everything I can to change the situation. This year is tricky, lots of children have not even been given any of their choices, but have been passed across town. Yay for a strong birth year.

Thanks,

Caithlinn
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I know Highdown in particular has had reduction in the radius it is taking from. It’s usually been about 1.5 miles within catchment, and this year is just a tad over a mile. The increased number of children plus the uncertainly over Chiltern Edge hasn’t helped matters. I know DCs have been given places at JMA and Reading Girls. Many parents are talking about appealing but they can’t all fit there so some are going to have to accept another school or go private.

Unfortunately RBC have their hands tied as new schools have to be free schools or academies. Plus I’m not sure where a new secondary school can go since they can’t even find a proper home for the new primary school. In east Reading we got this sorted a couple of years ago, but still all three options (ME, ME2 and Bulmershe) are full this year.

Next year will be worse...

Are there other schools locally you might be happier with? It might be worth seeing if you can go in the WL for those too.
Caithlinn

Post by Caithlinn »

Indeed, Tinkers.

I know a great place for a secondary school... Caversham Park. Shame nobody could afford it....

Since we got none of our choices, we are on every WL, but that may not be enough...

Caithlinn