Offer withdrawn after two weeks - general discussion

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Here_goes

Re: Offer withdrawn after two weeks - general discussion

Post by Here_goes »

And so the plot thickens. The letters have arrived today with the new AQSs. AGS have increased their AQS to 215 which we knew, however they are keeping the six category 4 children. SGGS have increased their AQS but ditched all their category 4 children. I would have thought AGS would have followed SGGS's lead and kept as many category 3s as possible. Even if it meant leaving the AQS at 214 but withdrawing those furthest away from the school. I fear that this is not going to go down well.

I have mixed feelings about this; of course as a parent of an OOA child, I would be delighted if SGGS had done this (and I would be lying if I said anything other than that, please don't judge me), but this does seem to me to be a case of double standards and morally quite wrong.

Just how did this all happen...? We need some transparency from WCC and quickly.
Frustrated18

Post by Frustrated18 »

That is interesting! Alas, as each school is its own admissions authority, I fear they’re within their rights to take whomever they want as long as they score over the AQS.

The real question is, by what process did they raise the AQSs? Did they do it via a reconvening of the independent Reference Panel, where all the AQSs were agreed prior to 1 March? Or did the schools do it themselves, and if so, what is the legality of this?
Last edited by Frustrated18 on Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Frustrated18 wrote:That is interesting! Alas, as each school is its own admissions authority, I fear they’re within their rights to take whomever they want as long as they score over the AQS.
I know nothing about admissions in this area, other than that there seems to have been a huge mess, to put it mildly. However, they can't take "whoever they want", they are supposed (!) to follow their published admissions criteria.
scary mum
Andypandy

Post by Andypandy »

Hi all. Our update is that having talked with our daughter and after receiving a written offer of a place from AGS, we have decided to accept. This last week has left me feeling drained but now feel a sense of relief that we have made a decision which primarily, my daughter is happy with. I do have a feeling guilt for accepting a place that had been withdrawn from someone else but ultimately this responsibility lies with WCC. I really hope that everyone gets the outcome they wish for.
I am still awaiting a response to the numerous questions we asked via email nearly a week ago from WCC and I will share the response when received.

Thank you so much to everyone for their best wishes and the advice from many of you as to how to proceed
Here_goes

Post by Here_goes »

Hi AndyPandy, I am so pleased that you have got a satisfactory resolution and that your daughter now has a place at AGS. We really liked AGS when we looked round, but it's just too far to travel. I am sure your daughter is going to be really happy there. I hope you now get to relax and put this all behind you. You can start to look forward to all the nice things, uniforms, inductions etc, etc. I genuinely wish you and your daughter the very best.
Andypandy

Post by Andypandy »

Hi Here_goes. Thank you. I really hope things work out for you too, I will keep offering my morale support
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now