Offer withdrawn after two weeks - general discussion

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Here_goes

Re: Offer withdrawn after two weeks

Post by Here_goes »

AndyPandy, I've sent you a pm (not sure if you've seen it).
Andypandy

Post by Andypandy »

Well WCC have now decided that my daughter is a cat 5 instead of cat 3 because their mistake has meant the AQS has increased - we are so far down the waiting list now an appeal is the only option. I feel beaten!
sphynx

Post by sphynx »

Andypandy wrote:Well WCC have now decided that my daughter is a cat 5 instead of cat 3 because their mistake has meant the AQS has increased - we are so far down the waiting list now an appeal is the only option. I feel beaten!
AndyPandy that’s terrible. Did they tell you what the AQS has now been set at? Any indication as to how they are going to resolve your child having no school?
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

I'm sorry to hear that - it's a really despicable situation. You are not beaten though - this is what I hope appeals are for, should it come to that.

I would be very interested to see which place they offer you, because you have missed the usual opportunities thanks to this negligence.

We were without a school place right up until our appeal date when Walsall Council conveniently sent us an offer for the school nobody wanted on the very morning of our appeal. I am convinced Walsall did this on purpose to weaken our case. However, when we mentioned the school we had been allocated by WCC that morning to the headteacher at the appeal ,he said 'oh dear'. In short, this supported our case further. I said very little about that school as we were arguing 'for' the other school. I didn't even need to say anything.

My point being that, in addition to the original place being withdrawn and not reinstated, then consider the damage this has done to other places and waiting lists. This was very much part of our argument.
Here_goes

Post by Here_goes »

Hi all, so we have now received the letter. It explains that the AQS is going up for AGS and SGGS and though it doesn't say to what, I understand SGGS is going up to 222. I don't know about AGS. I guess anyone with lower scores will know by now though.

It says that there was an error made but doesn't go into the detail as to how it happened, but that children were not offered places in round one who should have as they were a higher criteria than my dd.

It then goes on to say that my dd has been placed on the waiting list and I have the right to appeal.

So, appeal it is.
Frustrated18

Post by Frustrated18 »

The AQS for AGS is now 215. Our child has been offered his local catchment school which was his last preference.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Frustrated18 wrote:The AQS for AGS is now 215. Our child has been offered his local catchment school which was his last preference.

thanks I have edited the front page of the waiting list / scores thread - have you had your initial offer changed?
Frustrated18

Post by Frustrated18 »

Yes. We were originally Cat 3, offered AGS at 214 and the errors meant our offer was rescinded after 2 weeks. Aware that this might be an issue even early on (thanks to the forum!), I’d rung them on 6th March and was told not to worry- a day later, however, they told another parent on the other end of this mess that they would start withdrawing offers. I waited for the email then, but when none came after a week, I thought we were safe. Then it came last thing Wednesday afternoon, which resulted in some terrible stress and sleepless nights as we had to then wait to speak to someone in the morning.

I’m feeling somewhat aggrieved by the lack of transparency from WCC, with no explanation of how or why the error occurred and conflicting reports of numbers of children affected etc- some rumours have it up to 40, but we have it at 22 direct from WCC (not sure if that’s just AGS though?. Having had a rough couple of days, we’re now preparing for an appeal. Wondering why it was all so messed up this year and what can be done to prevent it next year. Meanwhile, my son still doesn’t know he doesn’t have a place at AGS anymore and I’m unsure whether to tell him as every day that passes he’s more and more making that transition to AGS in his mind. On the other hand, I don’t want to have to subject him to this uncertainty, which will be very difficult for him to handle.

Also slightly concerned about how effective an appeal might be if so many have been affected. It seems that the schools are not willing to admit over PAN. I can see why they’d want to draw that line here- it’s okay to admit the odd extra one or two, but 22 is a stretch.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Frustrated18 - welcome to the forum and sorry to hear that you have also been hit by this and thanks for the info that it is 22 children affected - do you know if that is that at AGS or across all the schools?

Good luck with preparing the appeal - Etienne has put some relevant notes on the this thread and also there is lots of general info re appeals on this thread and forum members will help out wherever they can.
Frustrated18

Post by Frustrated18 »

We don’t know whether 22 is just AGS or all the errors. I emailed yesterday lunchtime and asked this but have had no response as yet.

And thanks- will be looking through the appeal section in great detail!