Offer withdrawn after two weeks - general discussion

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Here_goes

Re: Offer withdrawn after two weeks

Post by Here_goes »

Etienne, I have checked the appeals website and it says that we have until 29th March to submit our appeal. I don't even know where to begin, but if I say that we have not had sufficient time to prepare our case properly, will that go against us? How long does it normally take to prepare a case? I'm a bit daunted by the process and not sure what grounds we are appealing on? Is it maladministration or is it that she is a high scorer and academically very suited to SGGS and that she really wants to go to that school, or is it a bit of everything? And thank you to everyone who is sending us good thoughts. I can't begin to tell you what it means to have your virtual support.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

have you looked here - it is under the "oversubscribed schools" bit https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yes you can just say "full details to follow"
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Here_goes wrote:Etienne, I have checked the appeals website and it says that we have until 29th March to submit our appeal. I don't even know where to begin.
Don't worry - I posted further above (00.54 a.m.) what both you and Andypandy should write for the present:
        • Etienne wrote:"We were offered a place at the school, but it has been withdrawn as a result of a mistake by the LA.

We wish to appeal on the basis that any prejudice to the school is outweighed by the prejudice to our child. Unfortunately, in the circumstances, we have not had sufficient time to prepare our case properly.

We would also ask the panel to consider whether, when we had a reasonable expectation of a place, it was lawful for that place to be withdrawn after [number of] days.

We will submit our full case in due course
          ."
You are entitled to submit further information up until a week or two before the hearing.
Etienne
Here_goes

Post by Here_goes »

Thank you so much Etienne. I'll submit that now.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Here_goes wrote:Thank you so much Etienne.
You're welcome. :)

You'll be in no fit state to do this now, but in a week or two's time I suggest you start reading our guidance on appeals:
Start here.
Think about 4(j) on the list.
Etienne
Here_goes

Post by Here_goes »

hermanmunster wrote:have you looked here - it is under the "oversubscribed schools" bit https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yes you can just say "full details to follow"
Thank you!
Andypandy

Post by Andypandy »

Thank you everyone for message of support and guidance - we will be on the case later tonight to submit our appeal
I need to also think about whether I prepare her for the disappointment that may be coming!
Here_goes

Post by Here_goes »

I am not going to say anything to our DD until I have a bit more information (either from the letter or as a response to my email). I feel totally in the dark at the moment.
LolaD

Post by LolaD »

Here_goes wrote:I am not going to say anything to our DD until I have a bit more information (either from the letter or as a response to my email). I feel totally in the dark at the moment.
I think that's very wise. Say nothing until you have more information. You really don't want to tell her now, she'd probably have many questions which you don't have the answers to. Hold tight until you know more. So sorry about this, it must be awful!
Caveman47

Post by Caveman47 »

I've just came across this feed and I am horrified to say the least. My heart goes out to Here_goes and Andypandy. I'm just lost for words. All the best. It appears that you both are in a very good place for help. Once again this Forum unites for a worthy cause.