Offer withdrawn after two weeks - general discussion

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Here_goes

Re: Offer withdrawn after two weeks - general discussion

Post by Here_goes »

Hi Poppy77. I am so sorry to hear that you're caught up in this as well. May I ask which school you have had your offer withdrawn from? Have the LA given you a second preference school?

I can only say that if you feel like I feel, then you have my utmost sympathies. It is gut wrenching, is it not? I haven't had a good night's sleep in a week, I'm so frustrated and it feels so unjust. Our poor children. They do their best and the system has let them down. It's too hard a lesson at this age.

Your situation seems very much like mine. Your dd is a high scorer but OOA. I do wonder whether, had they got it right the first time round they actually still would have offered to our dcs.... For example, they could have lowered the AQS to 220 and only included category 3 children. But they didn't, they set the AQS at 221 to include high scoring category 4s at the expense of lower scoring category 3s. I wonder whether if they had accounted for all the children correctly, then would they have set the AQS at 223 or 224 and still included high scoring category 4s? Have they righted their wrong by just skimming off the OOA and the 221s to impact as few a number of dcs as possible? What would have been different if they had got it right from the outset? We will probably never know.

What I do know is that it is absolutely soul-destroying to have a place for two weeks and then have it taken away. Can you imagine if we did that to the Chief Exec of WCC? "Here's your job offer, you've got your dream job, you're now CEO, top of the tree. Your start date is 3rd September. Congratulations."

Fast forward two weeks. A bcc email circulated to goodness knows how many...."good afternoon, you are no longer CEO, we'll give you some more info in a couple of days, run along now. Sozzo!"

These are children, facing that very scenario.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

What they should have done, is run the ranking for the schools concerned again, this time with the correct 'gathered field'.

I would try to establish, in writing, now, exactly how it has been done, with a view to using the information in your appeal. I don't know whether things are different where you are, but in the appeals process with which I am familiar, if the school is its own admissions authority, it will be represented at appeals by someone from the school and there will be no-one present from the LEA. However, if the entire main round admissions process is handled by the LEA, the school person may genuinely not be able to answer some queries. I'm that case, it could be difficult to establish on the day whether the admissions process had been handled according the published policy.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

ToadMum wrote:I would try to establish, in writing, now, exactly how it has been done, with a view to using the information in your appeal. I don't know whether things are different where you are, but in the appeals process with which I am familiar, if the school is its own admissions authority, it will be represented at appeals by someone from the school and there will be no-one present from the LEA. However, if the entire main round admissions process is handled by the LEA, the school person may genuinely not be able to answer some queries. I'm that case, it could be difficult to establish on the day whether the admissions process had been handled according the published policy.
Good idea. Ask for an explanation in writing. Keep copies of all correspondence.
Here_goes wrote:What would have been different if they had got it right from the outset? We will probably never know.
Demand answers at stage one!
And if answers are not forthcoming, I would request an adjournment so that the information can be made available to the panel.

Does anyone happen to know whether they have a group hearing with all the parents - or individual stage ones (IMHO the more cowardly approach)?
Etienne
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Agree that strength is in numbers. When we had our place withdrawn I wanted to find the two other families affected.

That appeal hearing was just us the HT and panel at the school. I've previously been to a group hearing at a neutral base where parents asked lots of questions.

I also know of a group of parents who joined forces when their children did not get into local secondary. They kicked up such a fuss got councillor involved and all 11 or so got in after the hearing (secondary, not gs).
Frustrated18

Post by Frustrated18 »

If only there were a way to contact all the affected families, other than this forum!

I'm considering letting the press know, especially considering the fact that I have been contacting the LA, in writing as they advise you to, since Thursday and had no response from anyone. I'm told there are 40 families affected by this.

Perhaps pressure from above will force the schools to admit over PAN, with extra support from the LA. There is no way this mistake should fall on the shoulders of the children.
Last edited by Frustrated18 on Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Hmm...suspicious. Hoping someone can tell you what they must send you (by law) but think it is just their reason for refusal rather than any depth.

I did contemplate the press - I didn't as there was 'just' me and I didn't want my son to know or appear. However, with such a large group, its a bigger story. There are a few of you on here so it is possible.

My MP was involved and I was in direct contact with CEO of LA to no avail. I kept applying pressure though as what else can you do. Roll over?

If I can help please let me know.
Frustrated18

Post by Frustrated18 »

I haven't contacted the press yet because my son doesn't yet know either.

Ricky74, What was the outcome of your appeal?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Ricky74 wrote:Agree that strength is in numbers. When we had our place withdrawn I wanted to find the two other families affected.

That appeal hearing was just us the HT and panel at the school. I've previously been to a group hearing at a neutral base where parents asked lots of questions.

I also know of a group of parents who joined forces when their children did not get into local secondary. They kicked up such a fuss got councillor involved and all 11 or so got in after the hearing (secondary, not gs).
Was your appeal submitted in time to be heard with the main round of appeals, though? (Sorry, I couldn't remember how long after allocations day your original offer was withdrawn). Later appeals will be heard individually.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Their error only energed during the appeal hearings (I think they had 50-60 to hear?) so we had a week to prepare and join those ongoing appeals. It was a comp.

For the gs we first attended a group hearing and when the school won that stage, we moved to part two (individual).
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Frustrated18 wrote:I haven't contacted the press yet because my son doesn't yet know either.

Ricky74, What was the outcome of your appeal?
We won the appeal where our place was withdrawn (along the with two other families).
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now