Enough to appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mumof2dc

Enough to appeal

Post by Mumof2dc »

Hi,

I’m a new member but have been reading the boards since last year.

I would like some advice please.

My ds scored 202 on grammar test and as expected we weren’t offered a place at HGS. I have no extenuating circumstances to explain why he scored lower than expected. So my question is could I appeal solely on the grounds of academic ability?

He is expected to achieve exceeding in his SATs and is scoring higher in class tests than a child in his class that has gained a place. His old/current school reports have always scored him as achieving well above expected standards.

Thanks in advance
hermanmunster

Re: Enough to appeal

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Mumof2dc and welcome to the forum!

You do need to demonstrate academic ability and also perhaps be able to explain in the day why he didn't do quite as well as you might expect in the exam - sometimes it is hard to know.

Is this Birmingham HGS? - just to say if it is, then Birmingham Grammars are known for being particularly hard to win at appeal and you have a fair gap between the lowest score offered and the score achieved, so it may be extremely difficult to win - but you won't know unless you try, have you read all the relevant FAQs on the forum?
Mumof2dc

Post by Mumof2dc »

Thanks for your reply hermanmunster.

Yes it’s Birmingham.

Yes he scored quite a bit lower than last place offered (very proud of what he did achieve though)

He’s usually achieved higher than his expected age and was put into the year above for maths classes the last few years. At a loss as to why he scored lower than I thought he would.

Still feel HGS would’ve been really well suited to him and that’s why I’m considering appealing but not sure if I’ll have much of a chance? :(
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Hi mum

My son was offered HGS in Sept on a similar score. Like you, he scored far lower than expected yet scored 120 118 112 in SATs. There's hope therefore you may get in.

Having been through a neighbouring appeal with strong evidence and a HT who told us we had a highly persuasive case at the appeal, we still lost.
Chances of Birmingham and Walsall appeals seem slimmer than anywhere else.

I completely understand you have to try. But hoping my story gives you faith to keep waiting on w/list too. In fact at least one other boy got in after my son!
Wildfuture

Post by Wildfuture »

Remember though, as well as proving his academic ability, you also need to argue your case why he should be given a place at that school in particular, a school that is already full.
Mumof2dc

Post by Mumof2dc »

Thank you both for your advice and support.

After getting his score I did look on the forums and saw ur posts Ricky and that did give me a lot of hope at the time, I don’t think I would’ve even put HGS on the form if it wasn’t for your experience.

Feeling a little deflated at the moment as I’m thinking there will probably be other parents like me who have put HGS who wouldn’t have otherwise so waiting list might not go down so low?

Need to decide quickly if I am going to appeal though as only a week or so left to do so and the deadline for submitting evidence is at the end of the Easter break so I’ll need to get that from the school in the next week and a half before they break up.
Mumof2dc

Post by Mumof2dc »

Are there any Birmingham appeals on the forums that have been won in recent years?
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Hi mum

The cut off for HGS was the same this year as the last so it could be fair to say that this year applications may remain the same, which could be positive in terms of my experience. Every year there are also a number of families who appeal regardless so I would say this year is no exception. I remember feeling really surprised by the number of people at the QMGS group appeal hearing.

I am only aware of one success story on here after I once trawled for hours. It was possibly KEFW and they had extenuating circumstances.

I think over the last decade QM has let five in off appeal due to an admin error QM's end and there was something with BVGS a few years ago too of a similar type.

It's a notoriously hard area to win - seems so much harder than other places. That said, I knew we had to appeal so we could say we had tried everything.

I'm testament that places do come up after term has started. There's movement in September and the odd place afterwards, so I hope that gives a glimmer of possibility. Do you live close to the school as that could be key if it goes to the wire?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Not specifically related to this appeal in particular, but please could people stop referring to a school 'letting people in on appeal'? The Admissions Authority (be it school or LEA) is at the appeal hearing to try to convince the Independent Appeals Panel that it couldn't admit another child / a child in particular if they haven't met the required academic standard. The parent is there to convince the Independent Appeals Panel that their child should, despite the admissions authority's arguments, have a place at the school.

Whether the task of organising appeals falls to the LEA or the school, the IAP decides, not the school. Whaver the panel decides, their decision is binding on both the school and on the parent.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Mumof2dc

Post by Mumof2dc »

Thanks Ricky for all the information and advice. That is what I’m thinking; I have to give it a go just so I know I’ve tried everything even though it sounds like there isn’t much of a chance on appeal.

I live about 1.5miles from HGS so hopefully fingers crossed for w/l.