Tolstoy's late transfer appeal.

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tolstoy

Tolstoy's late transfer appeal.

Post by Tolstoy »

Hi,

We have now been told officially that DS has not been offered a place at either of his chosen Grammar schools. As he has qualified and it is his decision to move schools we will appeal this time.

Two questions,

On the form there are two options

First rather silly I suspect but pressure on to get it right this time,

Start immediately
Or Sept 2018

Am I right to assume it doesn't really matter which box we tick?

Also Kittymum mention SWB takes in extra children in Y9. Do they use the same transfer test and could we appeal for this school? Had I realised we would have added it to our consideration list. I know at this point it is a long shot as it is probably also full but we are able to be flexible about where we live from June.
Guest55

Re: Tolstoy's late transfer appeal.

Post by Guest55 »

The Bucks late transfer page says:
"We co-ordinate allocations on behalf of:
Aylesbury Grammar School
Aylesbury High School
Beaconsfield High School
Burnham Grammar School
Chesham Grammar School
John Hampden Grammar School
Royal Latin School – Year 8
Sir Henry Floyd Grammar School"

So SWBGS must be a different test.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Thanks G55.

Should have looked myself but all this is coinciding with family crises and feeling exhausted.

P.s have now done some homework and SWBS not an option anyway as DS trying to avoid 3 year GCSE programme.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

SWBGS do their own testing for year 9 - Eng, Maths, Science and MFL - you have to have met minimum base lines at KS2 to be allowed to sit. Don’t let the 3 year ks4 put you off - I’ve been pleasantly surprised- yr 9 is much more a ks3.5 they don’t really start the gcse syllabus until summer term of yr 9. They also do a Higher Project Qualification in year 9 (in something religion / ethics based)

(They sit the test February ish of year 8 )
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Another positive for the 3 year GCSE....generally means syllabus is finished by Feb/March giving lots of school based revision time. Our school also does HPQ as an extra qualification. Although choosing GCSEs in Y8 might be scary, most school's have their compulsory subjects so well sorted that they ensure a good balance, regardless of what the child eventually wants to do.

I hope you get things sorted with your crisis and this appeal.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Thanks Kittymum, DS has issues about choosing so soon but as he has to do it in his current school I suppose it shouldn’t rule out SWBGS for him. He was quite decided he wanted to try to move to s Co-Ed Grammar. Our closest is single sexed frustratingly so makes chances of getting a place slimmer at a co-ed. Unfortunate we didn’t think to sit the separate test as I didn’t realise they increase their intake which ups his chances. He is sound in Maths, Science and MFL. Not so confident about English and suspect his school also now weak in that area but that might be just me. I suspect they have filled their spaces now. His key stage 2 results were fairly sound but not sure what a good baseline is. That first year of the new testing seemed a bit confusing if I’m honest. His head at that time did support a Grammar review to no avail.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Hi KC,

The main subjects aren’t the issue. He enjoys a range of subjects so it’s decisions around Art, music etc. He also doesn’t like either Geog or History but had had to chose one based on limited topic experience. I think he will have the same problem for A’level if I’m honest. At least SHFS do IB if he can get in :D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think the ideal is still a two year GCSE but with Year 9 being a bridge year - in Maths it's easy but even in Humanities you can teach to the old level 8 [grade B ie new '6'] - it's perfectly possible to delay choice without compromising on GCSE results.

The three year GCSE came in for behaviour reasons rather than academic ones - get students to drop subjects they hate!

Anyway, Tolstoy - we're all here to support you - how can we help?
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

Tolstoy I would give them a ring - they say they take “up to 25” so you never know and there may be the opportunity for late testing? The info is on school website in the admissions section.

Hope all sorts out for you x
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Just letting you know I am still appealing but having to put things on hold at the moment hence slow to respond.

I will be appealing to CGS and SHFGS. (Thanks for the feedback Kittymum but we need to prioritise and the 2 year GCSE option is what we are looking for plus another move would be difficult with all that is going on at the moment.)

At the moment my main arguments seemed to be based around the availibilty of 2 languages at both these schools. Current school only allows one.

Also my DS will have to start GCSE courses next year at his current school whilst above schools have 2 year GCSE courses which is inline with OFSTeD recommendation and what DS wants.

His current school does not do music GCSE only a BTEc.

Any advise will be gratefully recieved. Looking for arguments based on what makes each of these schools special. Will be searching their websites when time allows but if anyone has insider knowledge that would be very helpful.

We are appealing to SHFGS because it is in our catchment and Coed our closest GS is Single sex so DS did not apply.

We are appealing for Chesham because it was our catchment school and therefore he has friends there ( I am well aware this is a longshot but feel I must give it a go)

Appologies in advance for slow responses but I will be back and am reading them. :)