Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

Re: Tolstoy's late transfer appeal.

Post by Guest55 »

I will PM you later today.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Hello again, we are way down both waiting lists so I am registering my appeals this weekend and intend to keep them brief. My focus will be ML. Currently DC has to study one ML outside of school. Will I need to provide proof or will my word be enough? I am happy to talk about it during the appeal itself and my information about is and reasons are convincing. I may have to mention that in our experience the school did not stretch able students in a ML they were already familiar with but did need further support and guidence in. Not sure how to prove it on paper though. So difficult to handle.

Also as it is an oversub appeal is it necessary to take academic reports etc? Putting it frankly his current school ones are decided woolly and the assessment is not consistent across departments.

He is in topsets where setting occurs.

Tolstoy.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think it's always better to have proof on paper from someone else. You may need to expand on why the MFL is so important e.g. time spent abroad and academic strengths.

If you could find other reasons then I think it would strengthen your case.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Thanks G55, just hoping I have kept some of it.

The problem is DC is very much a Jack of all trades and this is why choosing GCSE options so early has been a real problem. He loves music but isn't sitting high grades because we have always focussed on him playing for pleasure.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Are there extra curricular things on offer that support his interests? I know I've mentioned the huge number of music groups at one of the GS you are appealing for. What about other clubs etc?
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Frustratingly both have basketball clubs which he has been desperate to do for ages. This year his school started one. He perservered for some time going to it but most of his friend ultimately dropped out because of the coach. Can't really use that arguement though.

Neither domsword fencing sadly :(

Will keep digging.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Will I need to provide proof or will my word be enough?
I agree with Guest55.

See also:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also as it is an oversub appeal is it necessary to take academic reports etc?
The Q&As - C21b?
Etienne
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Thank Etienne I had read the appeal guidelines but still doubt myself and want re-assurance. My other problem is I have never had the gift of selling. Either myself in application forms or my children in reviews/appeals it appears. :(

Be glad when this is over but suspect he'll want to have another shot next year.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Hello again,

We are currently one unsuccessful appeal down and one to go. Recent circumstances have seriously changed my attitude to DSs current school. I no longer believe they have their students best interest at heart and I am doubtful of their pastoral support. I know when I go to the next appeal in a weeks time I am going to find it very difficult not to show this. I am mindful of the fact that it is all about the positives of the school we are appealing for.

Secondly my DS has never been to visit the school and won’t go until he is sure of a place. I have visited the school and am now desperate under the circumstances that he does get a place. Do they expect the DC to have visited or will they understand that it can just make it harder on the child to see something they can’t have?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I have visited the school and am now desperate under the circumstances that he does get a place. Do they expect the DC to have visited or will they understand that it can just make it harder on the child to see something they can’t have?
If you say you felt it necessary not to raise expectations, I think a panel would understand.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now