Medway Test pass for Kent Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Keywest101

Medway Test pass for Kent Appeal

Post by Keywest101 »

Can someone please advise....

I made an appeal to a Kent Grammar School but this was unsuccessful. Although narrowly failing the Kent Test, my daughter passed the Medway Test and has been offered a Medway Grammar. The appeal was unsuccessful for not demonstrating ability to cope at the Kent School. Is a Medway Test Pass not as robust as a Kent one? I had hoped the Medway pass would have demonstrated potential to cope at a Kent (non super selective) school :?
anotherdad

Re: Medway Test pass for Kent Appeal

Post by anotherdad »

It’s not usually possible to compare tests because each test is different and the results will be standardised for each cohort. There may even be a different percentage of qualifiers set. As an example, a child qualifying in the Bucks test has to be in the top third of standardised scorers. A qualification in Bucks is of no help in another area where the standardisation selects 10%. It doesn’t prove suitability to the other area. I assume the Medway cohort is different to the Kent cohort (although seeing as one is inside the other I’m sure there’s a lot of overlap) and so the results aren’t comparable.
Keywest101

Post by Keywest101 »

Thank you for that.

It is my understanding that the Medway cohort was 23% and in Kent it was 21%.
I have another appeal this week and wanted to make a stronger case that the Medway Test demonstrates ‘selective ability’ within Kent. The cohort size is so similar and in the same county (although different local authorities) I thought this would be a valid argument.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You need to use KS2 predictions and other assessment date like CATs, reading age etc.

You cannot compare 11+ tests nor use them in different LAs.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)
Keywest101 wrote:I had hoped the Medway pass would have demonstrated potential to cope at a Kent (non super selective) school :?
Did you put this argument to the panel, or were you assuming that the Medway result would speak for itself?

There are parts of the country where an alternative 11+ outcome - though not the precise score - might be taken into account if the other grammar school is perceived to be equally (if not more) difficult to qualify for.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Your appeal panel was entitled to make up its own mind about how much weight to give to the evidence, but I would be interested to see the actual wording they used.
It's entirely up to you, but if you would like to send me a copy of the decision letter, I don't mind checking to see if it stands up to scrutiny.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 23#p108023" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Did you have plenty of other academic evidence for the panel to consider?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Keywest101

Post by Keywest101 »

Thank you.

I have sent a copy of the letter for you to have a look at.

I did provide other evidence, but I mistakenly thought the Medway result would speak for itself.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

On the whole the decision letter appears to meet legal requirements.
I have one or two reservations, but they are likely to be viewed as 'technicalities' and are unlikely to be grounds for a successful complaint.
    • 1. The letter states that the admission arrangements were correctly applied, but fails to mention whether the panel considered them to be lawful (as required by para. 3.2a of the Appeals Code).

2. I'm not sure whether they have complied with para. 2.25 of the Code:
    • 2.25 The panel must ensure that the decision is easily comprehensible so that the parties can understand the basis on which the decision was made. The decision letter must contain a summary of relevant factors that were raised by the parties and considered by the panel.
I can see mention of your extenuating circumstances, but nothing specific about academic evidence apart from the Medway result. If there were other points that you particularly highlighted, and considered an important part of your case, then they should have been listed.
I note they do accept "a number of strengths in terms of academic ability."

They do acknowledge the Medway result. My reading of the letter is not that they completely disregarded it, but that they did not believe they had sufficient evidence of academic suitability, which brings us back to .....
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't know what you submitted, but ideally, in your case, there would not only be evidence of overall ability, but also evidence to counter any weakness in the individual scores. For example, if maths happened to be a weakness, it would help to have one or more of the following:
• a very good outcome from Medway for whatever reasoning test they use to test maths
• a glowing report from the current school about maths (e.g. reference to "recent rapid progress")
• a very high score from school for CAT quantitative reasoning or NFER maths

If you have another appeal coming up, think carefully how to present the Medway argument.
I would start by accepting that a direct comparison may not be possible because of differences in the cohort - but then go on to make the case that the outcome should still be worthy of consideration where the standard of entry to the other grammar school is considered locally to be at least as demanding as for Kent, if not more so.

Best not to say too much about extenuating circumstances. Just answer any questions as briefly as possible.

Assuming you can get over the qualification hurdle, you then need good reasons for wanting a place at the school in question:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This might be of particular importance when you have already qualified elsewhere.
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now