Appeal advice needed..undiagnosed Autism at time of test

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
nicnatnoo76

Appeal advice needed..undiagnosed Autism at time of test

Post by nicnatnoo76 »

My DS11 was diagnosed with High Functioning Autism (Aspergers) just 3 months after completing the test. He scored above the qualifying mark but night high enough to be given a place. I have lodged an appeal on the basis that he was disadvantaged due to his disability (not throught any fault of the school, we just didn't have any grounds for applying for SEN arrangements). He was disadvantaged as he should have had SEN access arrangements for extra time and been given a seperate room to sit the test. He has a working memory score in the 99th centile a high IQ. Other than his EP report and a letter from his school, what should I take as evidence?
DC17C

Re: Appeal advice needed..undiagnosed Autism at time of test

Post by DC17C »

I think you also need to have reasons for why this school in particular.
It is worth meeting with the SENCO and actually checking the school can meet your son’s SEN needs.
What are your son’s strengths and interests..how will this school meet and support them?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)
He has a working memory score in the 99th centile
If this was WISC, then the VCI, VSI and FRI percentiles would be of more interest (or the equivalent test results if BAS was used).
a high IQ
What was the FSIQ (or GCA)?

You need as much academic evidence as possible to show convincingly that the 11+ result really should have been higher:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and - as DC17C points out - you cannot afford to overlook giving sound reasons for wanting a place at the school being appealed for:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(Very good idea to try and speak with the Senco.)

Example:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a43" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
capers123

Post by capers123 »

DC17C wrote:I think you also need to have reasons for why this school in particular.
It is worth meeting with the SENCO and actually checking the school can meet your son’s SEN needs.
I agree with this - in fact, talk to both current SENCO (see if they will also write a letter highlighting DS11' suitability), but also try and have a chat with the SENCO of the school you're appealling for,for although they will not write a letter of support, at least you might get a feel for the support you could expect.

Just going on anecdotal evidence, grammar schools are used to coping with Aspie's / HfASD pupils. At least 1 in 10 of the children I was at school (mixed grammar, 1970's) with exhibited the traits that would now be diagnosed as Asperger's (if using DSM-IV) or Autism (DSM-5). In the case of my DD's former school, certainly some of their friends have a formal diagnosis of ASD.

Finally, I tend not to think of Asperger's as a disability, but more of an ability :)
Capers
PlaceQuest

Post by PlaceQuest »

How did your appeal go? I understand that you didn't get extra time in the entrance exam? Do you feel he would have qualified if he had extra time?

Did the panel discuss a reasonable adjustment under the Equality Act?

Please feel free to PM me.
um

Post by um »

This is old but for the benefit of other parents looking up autism access arrangements...my son was diagnised as autistic just before his 4th birthday and despite letters from my GP, the consultant, and his head teacher, and having been on the SEN register through his primary school life, was not given any dispensation at all for his exam, apart from:

1) He was allowed to visit the school and look at the room before the exam date
2) He was allowed to be in a classroom rather than a big hall (although may have been anyway as most children were in classrooms)

I also ensured that we arrived ridiculously early - he was the first child into the building - so I guess that helped.

That was it I'm afraid. Definitely no extra time, and he ran out of time in most sections.
Pick up was absolutely horrendous for him as he was pushed out into a noisy, swarming crowd with parents yelling for their children and him terrified and unable to get to me.
He didn't speak for a day! I understand that the school in question now have better arrangements in place for collection this year.

Happily he did make it to our first choice school for him and is there now and loving it. I hope things have gone well for your son.
KatharineB

Post by KatharineB »

As a mother of an autistic girl who did the test the same year, I can relate with regards to the test mine sat in Slough. She got extra time granted in Slough but had a terrible environment to test in which was very distracting and rendered the extra time pointless. She was also overwhelmed by the crowds. She didnt get any extra time in Bucks despite recommendations (we live on the border), but was allowed to test in a one on one environment in a quiet council building. That and rest breaks were much more beneficial then time, although she should have benefited from both in an ideal world.

Anyway I'm ranting a little, but I'm glad to see that you got the school you wanted in the end. Best of luck to you.