Appeal advice for Kent & Medway

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Kate82x

Appeal advice for Kent & Medway

Post by Kate82x »

I’d really appreciate any advice on the appeals process for Kent & Medway.
This is the first child I’ve been through the 11+ process with so have been learning as I go.
It seems sensible to understand the process for this in advance of results next week although hoping I won’t need to use it.

My daughter studied hard for her exams all year. She’s the only one of our children to take it as it just wasn’t right for our others but seemed right for her.

2 weeks before her first exam my mum, her nanny, was diagnosed with advanced cancer.
It was a total shock as we’d just celebrated her 60th Birthday & she’d had no symptoms until this time.
We are a very small & close family. To say this hit us hard is an understatement.
My wonderful mum lost her life 3 days before my daughters first exam for Kent.

I spoke to the local Authority at Kent, their advice was that they would allow her to sit the date for children that were sick on the test day but they strongly advised that we encouraged her to sit the regular date as they felt this would be the least disruptive to her. She sat the test.

Medway local Authority although sympathetic would not be holding any later date for any other children so she had to sit the test or we would just have to go on her school work etc at a later date. Mums funeral was 2 days before her Medway Test.

To say this has been a difficult time is an understatement.
I’ve reassured my brave strong girl that we are proud of her either way but this has all been so unfair on her.

I wouldn’t be pushing this if I didn’t believe in my heart that she was right for grammar.
As I said it’s not something I’ve pers
yoyo123

Re: Appeal advice for Kent & Medway

Post by yoyo123 »

Welcome to the forum.

Have a read of the Q&A on the appeals section as a first step.
Kate82x

Post by Kate82x »

Apologies for the unfinished post. I was having some connection issues.

No. Will they be on the local Authority pages?

We didn’t get any booklets like local children did as we’re considered ooc.

We live in county but my daughters school is ooc.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Kate82x wrote:Apologies for the unfinished post. I was having some connection issues.

No. Will they be on the local Authority pages?

We didn’t get any booklets like local children did as we’re considered ooc.

We live in county but my daughters school is ooc.
I think yoyo123 meant the appeals section on the forum
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals

If your DD doesn't qualify to be considered for a grammar school place, you can choose to name your preferred grammar school(s) on your Commmon Application Form anyway, and exercise your right to appeal for a place when the application is unsuccessful. This is a nationally-applicable process governed by the School Admission Appeals Code (as opposed to any local review procedures).

Make sure, though, that you also name at least one school where you can be (as) sure (as possible) of getting a place, as success at appeal is not a given.

Any local arrangements, as well as information about post-first day appeals, will be detailed on the website of the local authority where each school is situated. The general appeals system applies to all state schools, so will be on every LEA website.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Kate82x

Post by Kate82x »

Ahh ok, thank you.

I’ll have a read through.

Much appreciated:)
GSHopeful

Post by GSHopeful »

Sorry for the loss of your Mum. Such a lot to go through for all of you at any time let alone trying to ‘park’ your grief and continue through exams. I wish your daughter a fab result and no need for appeal. X
Kate82x

Post by Kate82x »

Thanks GShopeful.

It’s been pretty unbearable.

The loss we’re feeling, plus the exams, me starting a new job & my eldest starting college.

Really hoping we get a bit of a break with next weeks results x
GSHopeful

Post by GSHopeful »

I can’t imagine. I hope so too. I’m going to pm you xx
Kate82x

Post by Kate82x »

Thankfully won’t be needed.

She’s assessed as grammar :D
GSHopeful