Appealing against prjudice when school has spaces available

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mrspodington

Appealing against prjudice when school has spaces available

Post by mrspodington »

Hello everyone
I have been actively reading the forums and all advice sections since my daughter missed her qualification by 3 points in September 2017.

I have my appeal hearing on Tuesday and am confident in my evidence however in my appeals pack from the authority the school have said they have 20 spaces available but are using prejudice in their argument. How do I go about fighting an argument for prejudice when there are places available? What would be a good argument to counter act the schools reasons?

I feel like I have been writing my presentation forever and am slowly losing the will to carry on.

Many Thanks
Etienne

Re: Appealing against prjudice when school has spaces availa

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)
I have my appeal hearing on Tuesday and am confident in my evidence however in my appeals pack from the authority the school have said they have 20 spaces available but are using prejudice in their argument.
It depends on the number of appeals.
Have you read the Q&As?
    • Note (ii) ........ it is always wise to assume that a school is going to be oversubscribed.
      Even if it appears to be undersubscribed after the initial allocations, the situation could change during the course of appeals as a result of (potentially) successful cases.
      This is why your reasons for wanting or needing a place at the school in question are important.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a43" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What would be a good argument to counter act the schools reasons?
You can question the school case at stage 1.
See the Q&As:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... -school#c1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You put forward good reasons for wanting a place.
See the Q&As:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
    • C2 (a)Stage two is the appellants’ case. Parents can counter the school’s case for prejudice by putting forward reasons explaining why they want or need a place at the school.
      Only you can say what your reasons are and provide the evidence. No one can invent a case for you.
      To give a rough idea, though, typical reasons often include one or more of the following .........
Etienne
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Hi If it is the school I am thinking it is...then the prejudice issue is really about the number of other appeals....there will be a lot in a situation like this ...and unfortunately it is not enough to want a place...you need to demonstrate why that school is a good fit for your child’s needs as well as having some good academic evidence....I’m sorry you are having to go through it...it’s a tough time...and will only be a happy result for some unfortunately...I was in your position 5 years ago and it worked out for us... pm me if you have any specific questions I might be able to help with ..
mrspodington

Post by mrspodington »

Thank you both for your replies. I am confident in the evidence I have as far as academic ability goes, my DD is in greater depth for all areas so I’m hoping I have that part covered well enough.

I just don’t know what to say for the prejudice part or my argument. I know many parents will say this but going to this particular school has been solely my DD choice. One which she made in year 4 she has known what career she wants since being quite small and has strived and worked hard to get good results as in her words” I need good results to do what I want to do” she also says quite often that she hates being around the other children who are not as educationally minded as herself and these are the children who will be with her in her allocated secondary school

So I suppose my question is can I write the prejudice part of my presentation from DD point of view if that makes sense. I’m absolutely terrified of getting it wrong.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

You can write it from your dd’s point of view but you still have to address the issue of why that PARTICULAR school! Just saying “my dd has always said she has to work hard for her particular career and to avoid other children who are not particularly education minded” will not cut the mustard, I’m afraid - not least because you do get all sorts of children in a GS - some very bright children don’t really do good behaviour....

Think about what makes THAT school the one that is best suited to your dd. Does it offer a subject that no other school does? Is it single sex - and is this important/essential for your dd? Has it got form for performing well in national competitions in a subject close to your dd’s heart?

This is the sort of thing that will say why this school, and only this School is the right one. Not generalisations that could be used for any school.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

mrspodington wrote:Thank you both for your replies. I am confident in the evidence I have as far as academic ability goes, my DD is in greater depth for all areas so I’m hoping I have that part covered well enough.

I just don’t know what to say for the prejudice part or my argument. I know many parents will say this but going to this particular school has been solely my DD choice. One which she made in year 4 she has known what career she wants since being quite small and has strived and worked hard to get good results as in her words” I need good results to do what I want to do” she also says quite often that she hates being around the other children who are not as educationally minded as herself and these are the children who will be with her in her allocated secondary school

So I suppose my question is can I write the prejudice part of my presentation from DD point of view if that makes sense. I’m absolutely terrified of getting it wrong.
There is no harm in mentioning your daughter’s aspirations if she has a clear career path in mind that needs particular subjects that are well supported by the school then definitely say so.
I know the difficulties of being around others who don’t share your aspirations and ambitions but it is also important to foster an attitude that not everyone can or wants to aspire to a definite career path and that is ok too...such people often find their skills and gifts in different ways....however....if you and she both feel she is currently lacking in peers who are supportive and encouraging then perhaps that is worth mentioning too...and you believe she may well be likely to find like minded friends at the school you are appealing for...
mrspodington

Post by mrspodington »

Great advice everyone thank you I feel clearer about things now hopefully I can write a secure argument against the prejudice now so fingers crossed I can get it across.

Thank you all so much for your advice.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now