Birmingham Appeal and an Appeal for HELP !! from Etienne

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

SMpharm

Re: Birmingham Appeal and an Appeal for HELP !! from Etienne

Post by SMpharm »

Hi Etienne,

The hearing is next Friday so if you get a chance please take a look and advise on what areas I need to focus on (academic ability) and which areas of my appeal need improving. I tend to keep an eye on the forum every so often during the day. it really an invaluable resource
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I think Etienne has answered you already about how you can improve it....give your evidence of academic evidence AND your reasons for why that particular Grammar School is the best fit for your child.

Appeals to the Birmingham Grammar Schools are nigh on impossible to win - you certainly wouldn’t be the first to try and argue the capacity line, but I think they have that one pretty well sorted and it doesn’t hold much water. As Etienne, Guest and Anotherdad have all said, you have to focus on why the school is right for your child.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Some great advice.

Having gone through an appeal in an equally tough region (Walsall) I can confirm they have capacity licked.

We know we had a strong case proving academic ability, but it still wasn't enough.

Therefore, the reasons why you need that particular school are key.

Only know of one successful appeal on here for Birmingham and that was due to extenuating circumstances. You mention extenuating circumstances. I wonder how strong those are?

Good luck. Birmingham appeals are rare to win, but I understand the need to try.
SMpharm

Post by SMpharm »

"Etienne, please let me know if you think anyone else could look at my case."
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

SMpharm wrote:"Etienne, please let me know if you think anyone else could look at my case."
:?

Who are you thinking might be able to help? I don’t think there’s any better assistance than that you’ve had so far, in addition to the extensive guidance in the sticky topics. The site isn’t populated with experts on hand waiting to be parents’ advocates or to personally tailor their appeals. With respect, you need to take what you can from the advice and guidance given and use it to construct and refine your case. We can provide pointers and experts like Etienne can advise on specific points when their time is available, but it’s best to do that on the forum itself so that others might benefit from your situation and the advice in future.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Ditto :?

Whilst you may not like what you are hearing, ignoring the advice in the hope that someone else will wave a magic wand is a little disingenuous.
SMpharm

Post by SMpharm »

Hi,

Etienne I have responded as requested - just to let you know its not this friday but the following, so if you do get a chance to have a look and provide guidance then as you already know I will be eternally grateful.

Anotherdad - Thank you for your post - I totally agree the forum is an invaluable resource of information and guidance in itself. My last post was not
disingenous at all as Kenyancowgirl seems to suggest but it was a request by a moderator for my consent for another moderator to have a look at my case.

Kenyancowgirl thanks for your input - I have read and taken ALL the advice members and Moderators give in the knowledge that it will all help me with my appeal. I am not disregarding information/advice or sidestepping here, but merely acting on a request by a moderator- So try not to jump to any conclusions guys? Besides it isnt the waving of a magic wand that is needed to win an appeal in this particular area - it is a MIRACLE :)

Ricky74 thanks for your post. Im sorry to learn your appeal did not get upheld. Did your child still obtain a Grammar place elsewhere?
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Ah, I understand now.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Apologies SMPharm, I understand now - I can only stress that you balance your academic evidence with good clear reasons for wanting that specific school - things it does that no other GS (you could reasonably get to) does or if it is single sex (and that is important) or coed and that is important - or does it offer a specific language or have a reputation for great links with industry for engineering and this is particularly important for your child, for example.

Extenuating circumstances, however strong, only come into play if you have “ticks” in the academic evidence box and the “why that particular school” box, if that makes sense?

You are right though - the record for successful appeals to the GS makes solemn reading - I think it is 1 in the last 5 years - so be prepared for that, but I do understand you feel you must at least try
SMpharm

Post by SMpharm »

Thanks guys,

Kenyancowgirl- Thanks for the info. The alternative school is another Grammar school but around an hours journey away (if using public transport involving two buses) Both are single sex girls schools so I don't know if I can use that as an argument but it is an important issue for us. I will try look over the schools website and reports to see if there is anything we can hone in on to use at appeal. At the moment the reasons for 'that particular school' are my (1)DD has more friends/knows more girls at that school as its VERY local. (2) Logistics of getting DD to and from school every day as other school in another town (3) Chosen school perhaps can offer better Pastoral support - Not sure these are sufficient reasons for wanting the chosen school

At the moment I haven't included anything that the school can offer academically or anything on an extra-curricular level but I will try and look this up

thanks
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now