Stationery

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Etienne

Re: Stationery

Post by Etienne »

Mumofgirls wrote:the onus is on us to prove academic ability first and foremost with extenuating circumstances secondary.
And thirdly: reasons for wanting or needing a place.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I’ve now received an extremely supportive letter from her class teacher and headteacher but it doesn’t appear to go into much detail regarding academic ability, it details her reading age, year 5 report and predicted SATS outcomes as greater depth in all areas but no mention of scaled scores that I’ve seen mentioned elsewhere. Is this going to be sufficient? Many thanks.
You've probably seen what we would suggest here:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
However, appeal panel members are completely independent, so I'm afraid it is really up to your particular panel to decide what they consider to be sufficient.
"Greater depth" instead of a scaled score is probably all right, although strictly speaking it is used only for Writing at the end of KS2. Reading and Maths will have scaled scores.
Etienne
Mumofgirls

Post by Mumofgirls »

Thank you very for taking the time to reply. I have discussed again with the head and they are adadment they will not give scaled scores so I will have to go with what we have. Just wish my daughter hadn’t had the disruption in her test to begin with and we wouldn’t have even needed to go down this route. Thanks for all the help and advice.
Mumofgirls

Post by Mumofgirls »

Absolutely gutted, our appeal was unsuccessful. The panel agreed the test was conducted unfairly and the headteacher said that our daughter had the highest score of all the appeals he’d seen, don’t know what more we could have possibly done.
Last edited by Mumofgirls on Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Really really sad to hear this.

I have been following this since the day you posted it.

If the panel agreed the test was conducted unfairly then why didn't they find for you?

I thought appeals were all about making things fair.

Your dd missed out on a place because of the behaviour of her invigilators.

Had she been in another room she would have been fine.

How can that not end up with her being allocated a place? DG
Mumofgirls

Post by Mumofgirls »

Daogroupie wrote:Really really sad to hear this.

I have been following this since the day you posted it.

If the panel agreed the test was conducted unfairly then why didn't they find for you?

I thought appeals were all about making things fair.

Your dd missed out on a place because of the behaviour of her invigilators.

Had she been in another room she would have been fine.

How can that not end up with her being allocated a place? DG
Thank you for your reply, we just don’t understand it, I guess there were more
convincing appeals than ours. It was just a yes or no answer today with a letter to follow.
ariadne

Post by ariadne »

I'm so sorry to hear that. How frustrating. Do let us know what the detailed letter says, if it sheds any light.
Mumofgirls

Post by Mumofgirls »

ariadne wrote:I'm so sorry to hear that. How frustrating. Do let us know what the detailed letter says, if it sheds any light.
Thank you I will do. Can you appeal an appeal decision or is that the end of the line now?
anonymparent

Post by anonymparent »

I am so sorry to read this news.
The system has been so unfair and how come they accepted that the disruption happened but still decided against the appeal?
Mumofgirls

Post by Mumofgirls »

anonymparent wrote:I am so sorry to read this news.
The system has been so unfair and how come they accepted that the disruption happened but still decided against the appeal?
I’ve no idea, I genuinely thought we had strong grounds for appeal, apparently not. Just feel gutted for my daughter as this is through no fault on her part.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Mumofgirls wrote:
ariadne wrote:I'm so sorry to hear that. How frustrating. Do let us know what the detailed letter says, if it sheds any light.
Thank you I will do. Can you appeal an appeal decision or is that the end of the line now?
So sorry to hear the news. I'm afraid the panel's decision cannot normally be challenged, unless there was a procedural error.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/ombudsman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The next step is to see what the decision letter says - in particular, whether there is any indication that the correct procedures may not have been followed.
If you would like to email a copy of the letter to our Appeals Box, I don't mind checking to see whether it complies with the mandatory requirements of the Appeals Code.
For contact details see:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a62" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne