123mumoftwo Appeal Bucks

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

123mumoftwo

123mumoftwo Appeal Bucks

Post by 123mumoftwo »

Hello All,

My daughter scored 116- she had received no coaching except one solving pack of GL assessment and the familiarisation booklet. Applied for SR based on her teacher's feedback as they were certain she was going to pass it.

Headteachers recommendation was 2:1 and he's confirmed on the form that she is in the top 30% of the cohort and is suitable for grammar setting. The school did not provide any information on writing skills.
Predictions for year 6 were GDS 111-120 for maths and English.

Additionally for extenuating circumstances I'd supplemented the above with a brief note on some private domestic difficulties but due to the nature of the issue couldn't be very explicit about it.

SRP have concluded this as not enough evidence of academic suitability and that there was no reason provided for rapid progress( my daughter was GDS at year 3 and 4 and EXS at year 5.)

Can I challenge that there is no evidence provided to demonstrate consistency that no other child with a score of 116, HT recommendation of 2:1 and above comments, was successful at SR?

The SRP also concluded that they felt that the circumstances were not significant enough to affect the performance in the tests

Can I elaborate more on the domestic reason during the FCO argument stating that the impact on my daughter and her performance couldn't be judged objectively.

For the appeal the school has provided a report detailing her progress over the year and that they have predicted her to be at GDS for year 6 SATs. But this can be useful only if I am able to disapprove FCO nature.

Any advice would be very useful.

thank you for your time.

Regards

Edited to remove Mod colour and split to start your own thread - Moderator
Etienne

Re: 123mumoftwo Appeal Bucks

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)
123mumoftwo wrote: SRP have concluded this as not enough evidence of academic suitability and that there was no reason provided for rapid progress( my daughter was GDS at year 3 and 4 and EXS at year 5.)
We do caution that a jump from EXS at the end of Y5 to a prediction early in Y6 of 111-120 or greater depth at KS2 needs some explaining (e.g. “greater maturity,” “recent rapid progress”.)

See E32(b):
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... aneous#e32" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Can I challenge that there is no evidence provided to demonstrate consistency that no other child with a score of 116, HT recommendation of 2:1 and above comments, was successful at SR?
I don't see why not, but there will be cases where there is an issue about the credibility of the information because some schools over-predict, so the KS2 predictions, the headteacher recommendation, and "top 30% of the cohort" may not appear to be reliable judgements.
This is not something the admission authority will want to talk about because it begs the question: how can any SRP possibly iron out all these inconsistencies with any degree of precision?

It might be effective if you were to home in on a known issue, such as the inconsistency of headteacher recommendations. See D4(x):
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 12&t=57343" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you opt for an appeal in Bucks, you get a summary of all the headteacher recommendations for your school – assuming it is a Bucks Primary or Partner School. This shows the correlation between the recommendations and the actual outcomes. It is one tool which can be used by panels to gauge how reliable the primary school’s assessment of their pupils is.

It's worth asking: does the admission authority deny that the standard of headteacher recommendations varies from school to school, with some heads being relatively optimistic, while others are stricter? How exactly does the SRP allow for these inconsistencies?
The SRP also concluded that they felt that the circumstances were not significant enough to affect the performance in the tests
You could also ask what measures are in place to try and assess extenuating circumstances with a degree of consistency, e.g. +x% as a starting point in the case of a very close relative who dies in early September.
It would seem reasonable for there to be a scheme for the most common occurrences, and guidelines for how to deal with other circumstances.
See D4(v):
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 12&t=57343" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Can I elaborate more on the domestic reason during the FCO argument stating that the impact on my daughter and her performance couldn't be judged objectively.
It's difficult to judge any extenuating circumstances objectively, not least because different children react in different ways, but what concerns us is (a) the apparent lack of any attempt to address the issue of extenuating circumstances with some degree of consistency, and (b) the guidance for parents clearly states "The Panel will also want to see evidence of any exceptional reasons to explain why your child may not have done as well as you, or their headteacher, had expected in the Secondary Transfer Test" - and yet parents on here have reported winning a review without any exceptional circumstances.
For the appeal the school has provided a report detailing her progress over the year and that they have predicted her to be at GDS for year 6 SATs. But this can be useful only if I am able to disapprove FCO nature.
You may already have this in hand, but, if you are able to overcome the FCO and qualification hurdles, you will also need good reasons for wanting a place:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps.
Etienne