Thank you team 6 appeals in 3 years - people keep strong

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Clawhit

Thank you team 6 appeals in 3 years - people keep strong

Post by Clawhit »

I just wanted to stop by and say thank you to all the help and information on this site.
Here is a brief description of my appeals. With a 50% success rate.

Back in 2017 we faced our dd not being allocated any grammar school despite passing 3 different exams she was one of only 2 children in Kent to be in this position. We appealed for an OOC Grammar and a Super selective. She was in wait list position 3 for the super selective however the appeal panel were awful and so was the representatives from the school. Both me and my husband came away knowing she didn’t get a place - that year not one successful appeal was heard. This panel were negative and all members argumentative the school announced our child as wait list position 12 which I didn’t think they were allowed to do - she was actually in position 3 so they had that wrong.

On the same day we had the OOC appeal. The panel were completely opposite very warming reassuring and allowed us time to talk without interrupting and being negative. We were successful with this appeal and actually went on to get offered the super selective from wait list which we turned down due to the experience of the both the panel and the representatives of the school. DD is thriving at her Grammar school and so happy so for us - correct decision made although not the closest.

In 2018 we faced two more appeals once again super selective and OOC this time my son had been allocated a Grammar just one that we wouldn’t have opted for completely opposite direction to siblings.

Panel 1 for the OOC were kind but it was clear this was a no as this year there were 12 boys not allocated a Grammar in Kent so priority was given to them which was completely understandable. The panel and the representatives from the school were welcoming though and not dismissive and listened to our case.

Panel 2 for the super selective once again welcoming and listened to our case and didn’t interrupt. The school representative was particularly nice and our appeal was based on our DS getting the cut off score but losing on a tie breaker distance. This was successful and we accepted the place.

In 2019 my friend asked me to help her so these appeals were a bit different we went for an oversubscription and then a non qualification.

Panel 1 the non qualification Grammar low and behold it was panel 2 from 2017 for my DD. They hadn’t changed extremely welcoming representatives from the school and panel members. This appeal was extremely short as our covering letter had covered all the negatives (non qualification by 6 marks) and what had been done to overcome these. We had letters from the school supporting the academic improvements across the board there was actually 2 letters directly from the school one more a reference and how hard she had worked and a second addressing spelling and what hard work has been made and achieved since the 11 plus in spelling. I attended the appeal with my friend and I did come away with a positive mindset. Appeal successful and found out today so delighted.

Panel 2 was the same negative panel as panel 1 back in 2017 and I can’t help but think this panel is not independent they already have an agenda and it doesn’t matter what you say (I would add we haven’t heard back from this appeal yet but I’m/we are fully expecting it to be a no). The panel were not willing to listen without interrupting and were extremely negative. This was for a faith school with the applicant living directly on the crossing that enters the school. The school offered 189 but 4 withdrew the panel said it was a mistake from KCC in having to take those numbers and just because 4 withdrew still means there are not enough chairs for bums on seats (panels words). The opening from the school was that it is the only school in the area not to have been expanded since being built. Our opening was that actually they are going for planning permission now and saying it’s for local children. The panel interrupted straight away saying well it’s not been built yet so it doesn’t count. There were various interruptions and negativity throughout the appeal and to that I am fully expecting a no. But I do question if this particular panel like back in 2017 are already biased?

Anyway I’ve had a 50% success rate in 3 years so thank you for all the notes on your forum - parents stay strong it’s a hard and stressful process (I actually got shingles in 2017 through the stress from the appeals) would I change it no. I only have one regret that I didn’t find this forum sooner and try for my eldest back in 2015. I do think primary schools don’t give enough support or advice and only through this forum have I found out what and how to do. So best of luck to everyone I still have one child to go in 2020 but praying not that we have sibling link it will be easier.
Etienne

Re: Thank you team 6 appeals in 3 years - people keep strong

Post by Etienne »

On the same day we had the OOC appeal. The panel were completely opposite very warming reassuring and allowed us time to talk without interrupting and being negative. We were successful with this appeal and actually went on to get offered the super selective from wait list which we turned down due to the experience of the both the panel and the representatives of the school. DD is thriving at her Grammar school and so happy so for us - correct decision made although not the closest.
If only all panels and presenting officers were like this!

To go through so many appeals, and finish up with a 50% success rate, is a remarkable outcome. Well done! :D
Etienne