grammar appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
neelwgs

Post by neelwgs »

good points tense & guest55.

That's correct my daughter can't do any after school activities at the moment because of the commute and impact on the younger siblings so she is missing out big time.

The point about not being able to tests in April 2007 really hurt us, because it has potentially delayed things by 7 months. I appreciate that the school administration must have been busy dealing with admissions for sep 2007, but surely they could have arranged a day for my daughter to sit the tests especially in our circumstances. I really want to bring this up at the appeal, I have copies of their letters from last year, but I think this may only embarass them and may not help our chances.
cindy

Post by cindy »

Hi there, for what its worth, I will add my advice.

I appealed for my Son last year.

I take the veiw that you need to show strong, consistent evidence of your child academic ability across the years. Evidence of exams, (SATs), not pictures, not projects, sure these can be nice, but they are not strong proof.

An excuse?,... only if your child has shown the ability over the years, and is borderline on the day, and a strong reason why you need the school, if applicable.

Good luck

Cindy
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I suspect that this is not, strictly speaking, a grammar school, but a VA school that operates partial selection.

It appears to have correctly followed its own rules with regard to residence, but, looking at the issue more widely, there may be a question mark about whether it was acting legally.

Unfortunately IAPs are not meant to get involved in what the admission criteria are, unless there is an obvious breach of the law. I'm also sorry to have to say that appeals to own-admission authority IAPs have a below average chance of success (and VA schools tend to be even worse than foundation schools).

I think I would mention the point about testing very briefly at the hearing just to get it on the record ("I would respectfully ask the panel to consider whether it is an unreasonable restriction not to allow children outside the catchment area to sit the test"), but would then focus entirely on why your daughter needs a place at the school.

As you are essentially appealing for a place at an oversubscribed school, you need to study the forum's Appeal Q&As, section C (especially C2).

Personally I would steer clear of arguments such as "my daughter would be an asset," as that crops up only too often! Focus on your daughter's needs, and why this school is the best solution.

I would not normally recommend highlighting your daughter's academic record at an "oversubscription appeal", but in your particular case I suggest you take copies of reports etc. with you, so that if the panel do ask any questions on this topic, you have all the evidence at hand.
Etienne
neelwgs

Post by neelwgs »

Thanks Cindy and Etienne for providing great advice.

I will definitely take copies of the school reports from the last 2 years on the day and present them on request. I'm currently trying to get hold of the CATs results from my daughter's school and today requested that the school send me information, I just keep thinking that it might support our case ie daughter is in YG &T category.

Etienne, I'm glad you brought me down to Earth :( , you are absolutely correct in your assumption. The school is indeed a part selective school girls school in Herts.

For the reasons why my daughter needs the school, i'm going to bring up things like 1/ shorter commute means my daughter can partake in after school activities 2/ my daughter can study subjects such as latin, German which are not available at current school 3/ The school in its brochure states how it will "focus on the Gifted & talented" pupils & this will hopefully benefit my daughter 4/The school is an all girls school so I think she would thrive better (I may have to support this statement)

Do you think my reasons sound ok? It's so hard to think of reasons!

Our family life will improve dramatically if my daughter could get a place.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear neelwgs

I would suggest re-ordering your reasons.

Point 1 on your list is worth a brief mention, but won't carry much weight unless you can convincingly link your daughter's interests with the extra-curricular activities on offer at the school.

I'd then move quickly on to point 4 where you can say that your main reason is educational, and that you believe girls perform better academically at a single-s ex school (but be warned, everyone going to appeal at this particular school is probably going to come up with this argument!). However, it does lead in to point 3 (G&T), and gives you an excuse to say ""I have some evidence of her academic ability with me if you should wish to see it".

Lastly, point 2 on your list will carry a bit more weight if you can elaborate on your daughter's aptitude for French (adding that the evidence you have brought will confirm this).
Etienne
neelwgs

Post by neelwgs »

Thanks (again) Etienne!

If we did lose the appeal, do you think we have some optimism by being 3rd in tha academic waiting list?

I've heard comments that due to relocation of jobs, places do become available. I'd love to get hold of some stats from the school, stating how many leavers there were in the last 3 years.

All I can think about is this appeal. It's taken over my life at the moment!

Has anyone been in a similar position and can offer some hope?
cindy

Post by cindy »

I must bow to Etienne's advice.

My Son would not be where he is now, without Etienne's advice.

Cindyx
neelwgs

Post by neelwgs »

The support and advice I've had from everyone so far has been great.

I was getting a bit anxious about not receiving our appeal date and paperwork that I contacted the school this morning in case they had forgotten about us. I spoke to the clerk,who was very helpful and he gave us a date for the 5th of March, and that all the necessary paperwork would be in the post to us shortly.

Is there any advantage in me forwarding all my daughter's academic evidence in advance? Or is preferable to present it on the day?

I've already started biting my nails and I don't think they'll be any left by the time the appeal date is upon us !
capers123

Post by capers123 »

neelwgs wrote: Is there any advantage in me forwarding all my daughter's academic evidence in advance? Or is preferable to present it on the day?
I'd like chance to look through selected highlights of schoolwork in advance, so I have a good idea before the appeal. Taking it on the day means I then have to look at it from scratch rather than glancing at it to remind myself, and lengthens the appeal.
Capers
Snakeyfly

Appeal

Post by Snakeyfly »

Hi,

Whilst I wish you every success with your appeal, as it is your perogative to do so; I would like to offer you the following cautionary advice (I sit on an Appeals Panel) - please continue to encourage your daughter at her current school as it's most likely that this is where she will remain in her education until A Level - if she picks up on your desire to move her then she may not value her current education and it could affect her long term success as she won't believe that it's a good enough school for her.

In terms of your reasons for appeal, I don't really see them as giving you an advantage in terms of moving from third on the waiting list to first - even then, you need someone to leave to get a place. In my experience, unless there are really exceptional circumstances (such as a disablity or a child in care), then the waiting list as it stands will dictate the order of entry as places become available.

Sorry to seem pessimistic - you must still try, of course, but I wanted to be pragmatic and realistic about your chances so that you don't stress yourself or your daughter for a very slim chance of success.

Good luck anyway!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now