Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:49 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:40 pm 

Obvs the school know our results beforehand so they can attend head teacher appeals. But I'm unsure what they achieve. Do they give them a higher score? Or just that the child would normally perform better? What happens after this?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:08 pm 

They provide evidence of high standard work and write a report in support of that child, explaining why they feel that the child should attend a grammar school.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:16 pm 

Thanks, does that mean that they can automatically be put forward for grammar or will we still need to appeal and the panel take the ht advice into consideration. Sorry if that's a really stupid question!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:17 pm 

Which LA are you talking about?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:18 pm 

Quote:
Obvs the school know our results beforehand so they can attend head teacher appeals.
There are different kinds of review, depending on the admission authority.

I assume you're referring to the "headteacher assessment" - a form of review in Kent - in which case, as Yoyo says, the school would send in a written submission for pupils they are supporting, rather than attend a meeting.

Quote:
But I'm unsure what they achieve ....?
If the review is successful, the child becomes "qualified" and can therefore be considered eligible for grammar school entry.

If you're unsuccessful in getting a grammar school place, you can still appeal later on (after 1st March). Appeals take place in the summer term.

We give some general information about reviews here:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b18

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:34 pm 

Guest55 wrote:
Which LA are you talking about?

Yes Kent.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:38 pm 

Etienne wrote:
Quote:
Obvs the school know our results beforehand so they can attend head teacher appeals.
There are different kinds of review, depending on the admission authority.

I assume you're referring to the "headteacher assessment" - a form of review in Kent - in which case, as Yoyo says, the school would send in a written submission for pupils they are supporting, rather than attend a meeting.

Quote:
But I'm unsure what they achieve ....?
If the review is successful, the child becomes "qualified" and can therefore be considered eligible for grammar school entry.

If you're unsuccessful in getting a grammar school place, you can still appeal later on (after 1st March). Appeals take place in the summer term.

We give some general information about reviews here:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b18

Thank you. I'm worried as it says that if a ht assessment has taken place, it is unlikely we will be successful at a parent appeal as all academic achievement has already been considered. If this is the Care, is there anything else we could appeal on?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:07 pm 

Quote:
Thank you. I'm worried as it says that if a ht assessment has taken place, it is unlikely we will be successful at a parent appeal as all academic achievement has already been considered.
When you write "it says", where exactly are you quoting from?

Unless there's been a change, I don't think "it is unlikely we will be successful at a parent appeal as all academic achievement has already been considered" applies in Kent, although it does apply elsewhere (e.g. Medway).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:57 am 

Not being succesful at HT review does not mean that a parent appeal for a particular school won’t succeed.

Not all parent appeals are succesful, but quite a few are.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:43 am 

Important! Where a local review has taken place, your rights could be seriously curtailed because the Code now says that, provided the review was fair, consistent and objective, no other issues can be considered at appeal.

This is a direct quote from the appeals section on this site.