How do head teacher appeals work?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Etienne

Re: How do head teacher appeals work?

Post by Etienne »

e_chat wrote:Important! Where a local review has taken place, your rights could be seriously curtailed because the Code now says that, provided the review was fair, consistent and objective, no other issues can be considered at appeal.

This is a direct quote from the appeals section on this site.
It says "could be" not "will be", because it depends on the admission authority.

On the same page we also say: "In Kent, I believe, the LA took the view that theirs was an ‘assessment’ rather than a review, and part of the 11+ process!"
In other words, in Kent they do not take the view that "all academic achievement has already been considered" - your right to a full independent appeal is not restricted.
Etienne
Topcat75

Post by Topcat75 »

Thank you. In light of this, is it worth presenting the same academic information at an appeal, that the ht panel have already considered? What else could I add?
Thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

e_chat wrote:Thank you. In light of this, is it worth presenting the same academic information at an appeal, that the ht panel have already considered?
Yes, because it will be looked at by a completely different panel who will make up their own mind.
Besides, for a review in Kent it is the headteacher who decides what evidence to submit.
For an appeal, it is the parent who decides.
What else could I add?
Here is a list of possible evidence:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(In Kent I'm not sure you would know what evidence your headteacher has submitted for a review, but it is unlikely to include everything on our list.)

In addition, by the time we get to the summer term when appeals are held, you might have some extra evidence of good progress in Y6.
Etienne
Topcat75

Post by Topcat75 »

Thank you very much. A bit of realistic advice would be appreciated. Her score were low. (She was nervous)
Eng: 104
Maths:93
R: 121
Is it worth appealing or realistically are They too low. (Worried more that she'd struggle with work load)
Clawhit

Post by Clawhit »

e_chat wrote:Thank you very much. A bit of realistic advice would be appreciated. Her score were low. (She was nervous)
Is it worth appealing or realistically are They too low. (Worried more that she'd struggle with work load)
I’m sorry as much as others will say go for it I would say be realistic all children are nervous and unfortunately those scores are not the 1 or 2 marks out. Having been through the appeal process for 2 children that passed (not by a small margain) it’s tough I know been there and I would say focus on your dd and finding a suitable school for her there are lots in Kent that are excellent.
Topcat75

Post by Topcat75 »

Thanks. I completely agree. Just needed some perspective having never been through an appeal.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

e_chat wrote:Thank you very much. A bit of realistic advice would be appreciated. Her score were low. (She was nervous)
As we point out in the Q&As, the rule of thumb is the lower the score, the harder your task will be - especially if we're talking about a heavily oversubscribed grammar school.
Ultimately, though, it depends on the strength of your case. Will you have some really good academic evidence to show that the test result was a blip? Will you have really strong support from the current headteacher? Were there any exceptional circumstances that led to an underperformance? (I agree that nerves alone are unlikely to count for much.)

However, if you're undecided, it might be worth appealing just to keep all your options open. You can always cancel nearer the time.

The important thing is to be realistic. No one should enter the appeals process expecting to win. The majority of appeals will not succeed.
Etienne
Fairmaid11

Post by Fairmaid11 »

A few years ago a child who missed the cut off by 12 marks appealed and got a grammar place on appeal. My son is dyslexic and missed by 19, not sure grammar would have been right for him, but wanted to give him a chance.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now