Next step

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Thwaitsey

Next step

Post by Thwaitsey »

Hi unfortunately my little one just missed out yesterday and I want to appeal and I can’t find much advice. I’m just in Kent. Some people tell me that the appeal is already done, some people tell me that it will be done. I’ve been reading a lot on this website and others trying to work out where I turn next. He is completely devastated and I’m devastated for him. I know it will be a long process but I’m willing to give it a go. I have arranged an appointment with his head teacher to see what we can do next and to see if she thinks it might work out for him. I feel like I owe it to him to try. Any advice is very much appreciated. Thank you
hermanmunster

Re: Next step

Post by hermanmunster »

Have you read the appeals FAQ? https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can't actually appeal until you have been rejected by a school and that won't be until March - you can however start collecting evidence

Re: Next step

Post by 1971 »

Hi Thwaitsey.

Sorry to hear that. If we are talking Kent test, then the head teachers have advance warning (even if you are oc eg Bexley school), and there is a process where they can choose to make a head teachers appeal for your child, which is looked at by kcc looking at schools argument and evidence provided, before you even find out the results.

Your ht should be able to tell you whether they did this (schools very close to the border are used to and geared up for this, some others maybe not?), and if not, give you advice as to whether they think gs is for your child. Even if they have done this and kcc decided not to upgrade to suitable for grammar, you can still make an appeal yourself after school allocation day on 1st march. For Kent a prior ht appeal should not prejudice your case, although they probably would ask about it (in the same way that appealing for Bexley the panel asked me about whether a ht appeal, what evidence the ht appeal had seen and considered had been done (in Bexley it is after the results and caf form are in, and they come back to you in dec).There is loads on the appeals section of this site to help you, if you do decide to appeal. Good luck to you and your ds whatever you decide.