Selection review bucks (lea2124)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Etienne

Re: Selection review bucks

Post by Etienne »

Hi, what impact does the end of ks1 levels really have on a selection review?
We have the impression that review panels do like to see consistent progress.
Presumably, if they didn't want the information, they wouldn't request it.

They will want to be satisfied that KS2 predictions look realistic in the light of everything that has gone before.
Children all develop at different stages and judging a child on results that happened 4 years ago seems quiet harsh
I would agree that recent progress is what should matter most.
Etienne
Guest55

Re: Selection review

Post by Guest55 »

You asked about KS1 levels and I tried to answer it but the thread vanished and now its locked!

If the KS1 levels are 3 then that's great. If not then I think panels want to see steady progress and good assessments for at least two years [Y4 and Y5] and good KS2 predictions. Someone with a summer term birthday could have this sort of profile.
lea2124

Post by lea2124 »

Yeah it's weird. I couldn't post on it either.
Ds had a slow start with his education. From aged 2 he couldn't hear and had speech delay. He had 3 operations with grommets put in and adenoids removed. He finally started catching up in year 2. His yr2 ks1 SATs were reading 3, maths 2a and writing 2b.
From year 3 though he just flew and ever since he's been at greater depth with very high standardised scores. Well above reading age etc.
I'm just worried that his yr2 levels aren't what they want.
Thanks
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You need to add that context :)
lea2124

Post by lea2124 »

Guest55 wrote:You need to add that context :)
Yep will do. Will they want hard proof?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Was he at the same school? Could the Head mention it if so?
Etienne

Re: Selection review bucks (lea2124)

Post by Etienne »

Yeah it's weird. I couldn't post on it either.
The problem has been multiple threads across two forums!
At one point, to add to the chaos, I think the wrong thread got locked!

We've tried to restore some sort of order by moving all lea2124's review posts across to this thread.

The remaining posts on the Bucks thread are mainly to do with local schools, so we've re-named that thread "local schools" rather than "selection review".
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 12&t=55777" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It helps us to have all your review/appeal questions in one place on the Appeals forum.
Etienne
lea2124

Post by lea2124 »

Oh dear. Sorry.
Not the same school unfortunately.
lea2124

Post by lea2124 »

Evening all,
So we're almost at the point of handing in our selection review paperwork. I just have a few worries/questions about ours.

I've read lots of threads about SR and after speaking to our HT a few things are contradicting each other. The HT said the panel will want to know why our ds didn't pass and that by having an extenuating circumstance it will help. I'm not really a fan of making excuses, there's lots of reasons why he didn't pass but they're not going to want to hear those reasons (like a broken system blah blah blah!).
In her letter she's put about this extenuating circumstance on why she thinks ds missed out on that 1 mark. Do I also need to explain or will her reasoning be enough? Should our letters match in that sense?

She also said I need to put that the AGS is the only school that offers certain subjects that ds wants to study. I've now heard that we shouldn't single out a specific school.

I'd really like the SRP to just see the great evidence and qualify my ds. Since year 3 he's been in greater depth and in the same week as the 11+ they took the year6 SATs as a baseline where he scored 117 in maths and 118 in reading!
Wwyd? Listen to the HT or not?
Many thanks
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Don't mention a particular school; it's not relevant.

If she's written a reason then you don't need to repeat it. No-one knows that it was one mark though as the raw marks are standardised.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now