Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:22 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:42 pm 

Hello all
Our result came on Friday and my sons score was 119.75. So frustratingly close.
So - I’m starting to look into an appeal. The trouble is that my son is at a prep school so the normal SAT scores etc are not available. He’s consistently above average and particularly strong in maths, science and English but I imagine this is fairly meaningless in a small year group. The head was a little cowardly (IMHO) and was not to be seen at school on Friday evening so I didn’t have chance to talk to him, however I am hopeful of his support.
I’ve got a couple of questions:

Timings- from what I can see, if we go to appeal, when do you find out if you have been successful and is there an opportunity to submit an application that can be considered for national offer day in March? If not, is the whole process a bit of a waste of time? As presumably most places will have been offered? My saving grace is that DS1 is already at grammar so sibling rule would apply.

Extenuating circumstances- unfortunately have a chronic illness and on the weeek of the 11+ was bed bound, had hospital treatment and unable to take him in for his test I know that this would have upset and worries him and as he can be distracted I know that this didn’t help him on testing day but I don’t want any appeal to be seen as clutching at the proverbial straw..
Thanks so much in advance for your help. The Q&a and numerous threads have been really excellent!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:25 pm 

Welcome!

Mummingsince2006 wrote:
Timings- from what I can see, if we go to appeal, when do you find out if you have been successful
Appeals start in the summer term. When they finish depends ......

See A13 in the Bucks sticky:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=53659&p=656877#p656877

Quote:
and is there an opportunity to submit an application that can be considered for national offer day in March?
Only if you ask for a review.

Quote:
If not, is the whole process a bit of a waste of time?
Not necessarily. Even if the school is full, you put forward your reasons for wanting a place and the panel will consider whether they outweigh the prejudice to the school of going over the published admission number. The sibling rule connection would obviously be one of your reasons and should be of some help.

Quote:
Extenuating circumstances- unfortunately have a chronic illness and on the weeek of the 11+ was bed bound, had hospital treatment and unable to take him in for his test I know that this would have upset and worries him and as he can be distracted I know that this didn’t help him on testing day but I don’t want any appeal to be seen as clutching at the proverbial straw..
It's worth mentioning. With 119.75 I wouldn't have thought you need too much in the way of extenuating circumstances.

Quote:
Thanks so much in advance for your help. The Q&a and numerous threads have been really excellent!
:D