Bucks review assistance please

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
WKJ

Bucks review assistance please

Post by WKJ »

DS received 120 in Buckinghamshire 11+ on Friday. He is currently at an independent partner school so not sure how much assistance the HT will offer with academic evidence, I will find out tomorrow. We are 8 miles out of catchment for the RLS and DD started in Y7 in September. There was a fire alarm during the exam and the children had to leave the classroom and go outside and DS said this unnerved him for the rest of the exam as he was unsure if they had lost time etc - would this be something we could use? His marks were very even across all three sections but just slightly under in the Verbal and as it is the 50% meant he just came under the 121.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
anotherdad

Re: Bucks review assistance please

Post by anotherdad »

Hi. You need strong academic evidence as a basis for a review. The fire alarm incident should have been logged by the invigilator so it's worth checking that's the case and certainly make reference to it in your review but don't labour the point. It won't help unless you have strong academic evidence and a good HT recommendation to show suitability for grammar school. Then, and only then will a panel look for reasons why a child expected to qualify, didn't. That's when the fire alarm incident comes into play as a possible factor.
WKJ

Post by WKJ »

Thank you for your assistance. If the school doesn't do SATs etc will any other academic evidence be accepted?
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Have a read through the appeals guidance, it gives examples of the sort of evidence you might produce.

The outcome of the meeting with the HT is important. You need to know if the HT will provide a strong recommendation and hope that s/he has a reputation for making reasonably accurate recommendations. Ask the HT what evidence they usually provide for reviews.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome! :)

Have you seen these links?

See here.

And here.
Etienne
WKJ

Post by WKJ »

HT has said he is in full support of son's review - meeting on Wednesday am to discuss further.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

That sounds positive. Make your bedtime reading all the guidance linked to above so that you're well prepared for the meeting with the Head and know what to ask and look for. Heads are incredibly busy so it's better to try and get everything in one go rather than peppering them with questions over the next couple of weeks.
WKJ

Post by WKJ »

Meeting with HT was positive. DS was given 2-1 before the exam and school have said they would complete the form with his predicted performance for July 2019 as 111-120 and GDS. Looking at his CATS they weren't the best last year just under 121 in Verbal and NV, 127 in maths but the two previous years were stronger. He is at an independent school so we don't have SAT's etc but his reports are all A's. The HT also said the fire alarm was reported to the authorities and that he will write that it did take a while and did make the children anxious.

Do I mention his age as a factor as he is a July birthday and something like a fire alarm could affect him more?
Do I mention sibling pressure?
Should the HT give me the completed form and I add it to ours and post together?
Should I put a covering letter with the forms?

Thank you!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

How can the HT give KS2 test predictions if they aren't going to sit them? That is not a great idea as the panel will see the school don't take them.

Did the Head say how many 2:1s qualified?

I don't think age is relevant as that's already part of the standardisation; maybe a brief mention of additional pressure from siblings?

I think a panel would prefer to see recent CATs higher.

Yes, the HT should give you the form to send off. Complete the parent form and send them together.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now