Bucks Review/Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Hateelevenplus

Bucks Review/Appeal

Post by Hateelevenplus »

I am new to the forum but have read a lot of the background advice. My situation is this:
We are in Bucks. Got the results on Friday and my son got 113. Is it going to be worth appealing/review? We are seeing the HT tomorrow so will know more about his recommendation after that. My son is in top set for Maths (they are not set for English), end of Y5 report stated working at greater depth for reading, writing and Spag; and working at expected level for maths. Reading age of 12+ and spelling age of 15. I know we will have a clearer picture once we’ve seen the HT but would welcome any advice on what to raise with him. Thank you.
Guest55

Re: Bucks Review/Appeal

Post by Guest55 »

Welcome - sorry to hear your news.

Last year few of the reviews on that score were successful so you do need to understand the consequences on a later appeal if the review is unsuccessful.

Ideally the review panel would like KS1 level 3s and all Y3, Y4 and Y5 levels above age expectations. KS2 test predictions of 110+ and greater depth for writing backed up by the HT of a school that's likely to get those results.

What did the HT recommend? Were their predictions accurate?

DO ask if any of this isn't clear.
Hateelevenplus

Post by Hateelevenplus »

Thank you. We haven’t had the HT meeting yet so I don’t know his recommendation. I will update tomorrow.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

OK - it would be helpful to try to find out how good the recommendations were. Did others with the same recommendation qualify?
Hateelevenplus

Post by Hateelevenplus »

Saw HT this morning. Son is a 1:1. Eight other pupils were graded as 1:1 and four of those passed. School fully supportive of the review for our son.
Hateelevenplus

Post by Hateelevenplus »

Also, KS1 SATs were all level 3. Each year from 3-5 Reading and Writing have been working at greater depth and maths working at expected.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

OK - it's a bit unusual that so few qualified from 1:1.

It would also be preferable to have all assessment above expectation. What KS2 predictions is the Head going to make?

How successful has the Head been at reviews? Is it a high-performing school? By that I mean lots of children getting high KS2 scores.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

it's a bit unusual that so few qualified from 1:1
I agree - if the school judged these 8 to be "exceptionally able so very highly recommended", a success rate of 50% doesn't help strengthen cases going to review/appeal.
Etienne
Hateelevenplus

Post by Hateelevenplus »

So is it worth trying? Feeling completely deflated.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

If you don't try you definitely won't succeed. I think it's important you're aware of your chances with a score of 113 and what looks like an overly-optimistic HT (not for your child specifically, but generally).
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now