Bucks score of 120 - Appeal or Review

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scary mum

Re: Bucks score of 120 - Appeal or Review

Post by scary mum »

Sri, where do you live (roughly). Are you sure of a place if you win the review? My apologies if you already said, but I couldn't see it (I was a bit confused with all the blue!).
scary mum
srmirji

Post by srmirji »

I live in Buckinghamshire, in catchment for 2 schools. but again I haven't lived very long here...so fighting against the tide.
srmirji

Post by srmirji »

Hi Etienne,

I have got the recommendation from the head teacher. It's horrible. They just say average for everything... there is no clarity in the report.

This is an independent school, they were hesitant to give.... and now what they have given is of no use....

What's the way out?

Even though I'm getting the WISC assessment...I'm not too thrilled about it....i don't want to brand my child in anyway....

I'm stressed, confused and don't know what's the way forward...

All I can say is we are from abroad, we started preparation very late, daughter has missed a year of education, daughter has to adjust to changing country, moving homes within UK... an absent father....

Please advice...

Thanks
Sri.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Can you post what the HT has written, leaving out anything which would identify your daughter and paraphrasing it, too. Then we can see if it is as bad as you say it is.

Don't say anything about starting preparation late in your review. The test isn't supposed to be prepared for and no panel will have sympathy for you not having tutored or prepared your daughter.
srmirji

Post by srmirji »

anotherdad wrote:Can you post what the HT has written, leaving out anything which would identify your daughter and paraphrasing it, too. Then we can see if it is as bad as you say it is.

Don't say anything about starting preparation late in your review. The test isn't supposed to be prepared for and no panel will have sympathy for you not having tutored or prepared your daughter.
Subject: Bucks score of 120 - Appeal or Review
anotherdad wrote:Can you post what the HT has written, leaving out anything which would identify your daughter and paraphrasing it, too. Then we can see if it is as bad as you say it is.

I am sorry for the delay in response, please find response from the school below.

The head teacher has filled in the Bucks form twice - once where she told Grammar Suitability rating to be 3 - Recommended with reservation.

I have haggled her over the last 2 days to provide a more positive feedback and eventually she changed that to 2 - Very able so recommended without any reservation.

Lastly, she provided an additional comments sheet which is what I am unhappy about. That is in the table below (unable to post a table or attachment) here:

Academic achievement Average
Academic potential Average
Number skills Below Average
Ability to face and grasp new concepts Average
Vocabulary Above Average
Capacity to express in writing Average
Imagination Above Average
Reading ability Average
Short term memory Average
Long term memory Average
Ability to follow instructions Average
Independence of thought Average

Finally, as per the suggestion on the many threads I got an EP's WISC - V assessment done, where my daughter has scored 120.

Thanks for your time and help.
srmirji

Post by srmirji »

is it possible to attach documents to the post?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Has the Head filled in the progress chart as instructed? If you are able to scan it you could send it to the private appeals box for comment.

"Progress chart - Please record the Key Stage 1 outcomes using National Curriculum levels.

For the Key Stage 2 record, using your own assessment system for Years 3, 4 and 5, convert this to whether this child has not met (HNM), has met (EXS) or is working at greater depth (GDS) of age-related expectations.

For the predicted performance refer to Teacher assessment frameworks at the end of Key Stage 2: For use from the 2018/19 academic year onwards (published by STA) and grade accordingly, noting that this is a ‘complete fit’ grading system and that pupils need to have demonstrated consistent attainment of all the statements within the standard. For writing, where there is no national test, please include if the child is working at greater depth (GDS). For children working at EXS in reading and mathematics, please indicate a predicted scaled score range of (100-110) or (111-120). "

If you are able to scan it you could send it to the private appeals box we can comment.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... php?t=9907" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I am outraged that a Head thinks that she is qualified in some way to comment on a number of these items, particularly those I have highlighted in red:
Vocabulary Above Average
Reading ability Average
Long term memory Average
Only an Educational Psychologist (or similarly qualified person) can assess those abilities with anything like accuracy!
Finally, as per the suggestion on the many threads I got an EP's WISC - V assessment done
If you would like to send a copy of the report to the AppealsBox (instructions in Guest55's post, above) we can take a look at it.

On a score of 120, your DD deserves better than the Head is currently delivering.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

I'm not an educational professional but I am shocked by this.

The report is so vague as to be worse than useless. What is it measuring? How are the comparators measured? It is meaningless.

Is there a reason the head is being so difficult? Is she thinking that if you don't get the grammar place you will stay at the school? Our is she just worried the her incompetence is going to be revealed?
srmirji

Post by srmirji »

Sally-Anne wrote:I am outraged that a Head thinks that she is qualified in some way to comment on a number of these items, particularly those I have highlighted in red:
Vocabulary Above Average
Reading ability Average
Long term memory Average
Only an Educational Psychologist (or similarly qualified person) can assess those abilities with anything like accuracy!
Finally, as per the suggestion on the many threads I got an EP's WISC - V assessment done
If you would like to send a copy of the report to the AppealsBox (instructions in Guest55's post, above) we can take a look at it.

On a score of 120, your DD deserves better than the Head is currently delivering.
Hello,

Thank you for responding.

I have just sent the documents I have to support my selection process to the appeals email.

Few points, I repeat:
1. Daughter attends independent school which unfortunately do not have HNM / GDS/ EXS scores.
2. Daughter has missed Y4 education. So I do not have a cumulative performance matrix.
3. We have come from abroad last year, so exposure to the education system is relatively lesser.

Kind regards,
Sri.