Bucks score of 120 - Appeal or Review

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

srmirji

Re: Bucks score of 120 - Appeal or Review

Post by srmirji »

streathammum wrote:I'm not an educational professional but I am shocked by this.

The report is so vague as to be worse than useless. What is it measuring? How are the comparators measured? It is meaningless.

Is there a reason the head is being so difficult? Is she thinking that if you don't get the grammar place you will stay at the school? Our is she just worried the her incompetence is going to be revealed?
1. well sadly, we will not be able to afford the fees anyway for Secondary school, which I have mentioned couple of times to the Head Teacher from April 2018 due to change in personal circumstance.
Maybe competence, maybe they don't want to encourage parents like me.
2. I am a single parent, as husband works abroad and visits us half yearly once.
3. I do not have the comparable scores (HNM / GDS etc) which the Admissions Board is looking for.

so overall a complicated case :(

Thanks for your response...appreciate your view.

Sri.
srmirji

Post by srmirji »

Guest55 wrote:Has the Head filled in the progress chart as instructed? If you are able to scan it you could send it to the private appeals box for comment.

"Progress chart - Please record the Key Stage 1 outcomes using National Curriculum levels.

For the Key Stage 2 record, using your own assessment system for Years 3, 4 and 5, convert this to whether this child has not met (HNM), has met (EXS) or is working at greater depth (GDS) of age-related expectations.

For the predicted performance refer to Teacher assessment frameworks at the end of Key Stage 2: For use from the 2018/19 academic year onwards (published by STA) and grade accordingly, noting that this is a ‘complete fit’ grading system and that pupils need to have demonstrated consistent attainment of all the statements within the standard. For writing, where there is no national test, please include if the child is working at greater depth (GDS). For children working at EXS in reading and mathematics, please indicate a predicted scaled score range of (100-110) or (111-120). "

If you are able to scan it you could send it to the private appeals box we can comment.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... php?t=9907" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you for your response.

Daughter has been here only since end of Y4 and Y5 beginning (May 2017). We have come from abroad where there is no EXS / GDS etc., concept.

So I do not have any of the scores you have mentioned in your post.

Though I have got a WISC-V assessment done.

Kind regards,
Sri.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Although I have some grasp of the WISC-V tests, Etienne is better qualified than I am to comment on them. Your case will also be submitted to an Educational Psychologist for comment to assist the Review Panel in their decision making, so you aren't relying on the Heads having an understanding of WISC-V either.

My advice to you would be to not submit the Head's Review form at all. Although we are missing the last page, I doubt that it contains anything of value if the first two pages are anything to go by. I would likewise leave out the "Head's Report", because it simply damns with faint praise. You do not have to submit either, and you can simply state that because your DD attends an all through private school, the Head is not willing to support a Review case. (There are a fair few schools like that, I'm sorry to say.)

You can submit the EP report and the end of Y5 report, which I think is pretty reasonable. The mid-term report for this term isn't worth the paper it's written on after only 5-6 weeks, and can be left out. Very few schools do mid-term reports anyway, and in my experience, prep school reports for the first term are always deflated. They get progressively better through the year so that by July, you get the "look what a difference we've made to your child in exchange for your fees" report. :roll:

Other than that, all you need to do is submit a covering letter describing the background to your DD's schooling, as you did to us in your first post. (Don't mention the tutoring though.)

I would be inclined to leave out the viral illness, and make your case solely from the academic evidence.
srmirji

Post by srmirji »

Thank you Sally-Anne, appreciate your response.

This morning, I went to the school once again requesting for support. So finally the Head Teacher is willing to see me, meeting fixed for 6th Nov. Till now her PA had not allowed even one meeting, despite my repeated requests.

I am not sure if HT will provide any change to her current views, however I will try getting her to give a positive feedback. One last question, would just a reference letter (descriptive) from HT suffice or more detailed information on the scores would help?

But I would anyway send in the documents I have listed below tomorrow:

1. Selection Review form - parents section.
2. WISC -V report
3. Y5 report
4. Cover letter

I will try to keep it simple and to the point.

Thanks for your help.

@Etienne, can you please have a look into the email I have sent with the WISC scores?

Sri.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I agree with S-A about not including the HT reference or the Year 6 'report'; neither is helpful.

You need to include all the Y5 report including the test marks.

I think you were wise to get an Ed Psych report as the data does not go back very far. My personal feeling is that I think the panel would expect to see higher scores to make up for the lack of evidence from earlier in KS2.

Your big plus point is 120.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Etienne wrote:An educational psychologist's report might possibly have been helpful in this situation - depending on the results
srmirji wrote:@Etienne, can you please have a look into the email I have sent with the WISC scores?
I've had a look at the WISC V report. As you will have seen, the FSIQ of 118 is near the top end of "high average".
Only your panel can say what they would consider to be acceptable, but my guess is that it would have helped to be somewhere in the middle of "very high" (120-129).
Guest55 wrote:I think you were wise to get an Ed Psych report as the data does not go back very far. My personal feeling is that I think the panel would expect to see higher scores to make up for the lack of evidence from earlier in KS2.
I suspect that's right. When discussing in the Q&As what sort of alternative standardised score might impress, I've quoted what someone once wrote on the forum:
    • “It’s like seeking to adopt a child – you have more to prove than an ‘ordinary’ parent would!”
Hard words, but probably true.
Your big plus point is 120
Agreed. With 120 your case will be looked at closely. If unsuccessful, I would expect it to be referred to a second panel (the moderators) for another opinion.
One last question, would just a reference letter (descriptive) from HT suffice or more detailed information on the scores would help?
I've set out here exactly what I think is needed:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(scroll down to "2. In an independent school")

Well done for all your efforts on daughter's behalf. You couldn't be doing more.
Etienne
srmirji

Post by srmirji »

Dear All,

Thank you for all the guidance and support provided to me.

This site has invaluable information....and all of you are doing a great job....God bless.

I have submitted my documents yesterday...fingers crossed with the HT meeting next week...once that is done will post it to the Admissions team.

Thanks once again for reviewing the docs....for everything...i was clueless and this forum helped a great deal.

I'll come back to the thread with the outcome :)

Kind regards,
Sri.
srmirji

Post by srmirji »

Dear Etienne, Sally-Anne, anotherdad, Guest55 and all others who responded,

We got our Selection Review result this morning and we have been successful with the review presented.

I wanted to thank all of you for your guidance regarding the review process, your answers to questions I have asked and for everything you have graced on us.

This is a fantastic forum...

Kindest regards,
Sri.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Great news! Thanks for letting us know.
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

Excellent news

I'm delighted for you