Chance of success at review with low score

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

anotherdad

Re: Chance of success at review with low score

Post by anotherdad »

Hi lea2124. Yes, it’s people like you for whom I feel most sorry and on whose behalf I give short thrift to obvious tourists.

The solution I propose is to raise the percentage of those achieving the qualifying score. At present it sits somewhere around the 30-33% level. By adjusting the standardisation so that say, 40% achieve the qualifying score, there will be an excess of qualifiers but places will be awarded on distance, knocking out those who have applied from places further afield and have used the Bucks test as a mock or back-up to various other tests they’ve entered.
lea2124

Post by lea2124 »

anotherdad wrote:Hi lea2124. Yes, it’s people like you for whom I feel most sorry and on whose behalf I give short thrift to obvious tourists.

The solution I propose is to raise the percentage of those achieving the qualifying score. At present it sits somewhere around the 30-33% level. By adjusting the standardisation so that say, 40% achieve the qualifying score, there will be an excess of qualifiers but places will be awarded on distance, knocking out those who have applied from places further afield and have used the Bucks test as a mock or back-up to various other tests they’ve entered.
Oh yes, makes perfect sense. We're feeling a bit better atm - trying to remain positive that the selection review panel will just take minutes to decide because they'll look at his result, then look at the HT recommendation and all his greater depth proof and just let us qualify. It's just a shame we won't know till 8th feb.
Thanks
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Good. There isn't much more you can do once you have collated all the evidence and submitted it. As you say, you have to hope that with good academic evidence, a good HT recommendation and as near a miss as anyone is likely to get, you have a better case than many will.
WhatsOn

Post by WhatsOn »

Shelly60 wrote:Wondering whether you think I have a strong case here with such an unexpectedly low score

Any similar case experience? Thoughts on my chances please
Hi Shelly60
I know of a very similar case from last year. Child scored very similarly to your child. Sibling was in hospital in run up to test and had emergency surgery the day before. Child was deemed qualified by Review Panel.

However, I would add that in this case the academic evidence was strong and HT has a very good reputation for rating pupils.

Worth a shot!
Shelly60

Post by Shelly60 »

Thanks WhatsOn - thats reassuring to know - I don't suppose you have any details of the type of academic evidence that case had do you?
Our head has a top reputation I hear with County and he is very accurate over 3 years and that includes this year. I have to say I feel like that and the 1 Outstanding /exceptional ability - strongly recommend plus good CAT scores is teh only thing keeping me going.

I have been mulling things over the last few days and I can see what Otherdad is saying - at 112 you really have to have a massively strong case both academically and a good reason /circusmstance why that child didn't perform on the day.

I just hope they will consider the A & E admission will have an impact although I realise it wasn't a life or death situation so perhaps they will not view it as exentuating. It is however the only reason I can deduce as to why she hasn't performed as she has been very consistent all through from Year 2 to end of year 5 and made consistently good progress.
Hopefully when I get the other scores back it will show me to what extent.

Until then however, I am realistic that this will be a mountain to climb in this case.

I would like to ask whether the issue of a low score even with high academics is due to the sheer lack of places as these get taken up by higher scorers with academic potential?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Each student is considered separately with no thought of a 'cap' on the number of reviews that will be allowed.
Shelly60

Post by Shelly60 »

Guest55 wrote:Each student is considered separately with no thought of a 'cap' on the number of reviews that will be allowed.
So just to be really clear- you are saying they consider each case on its own merits, and if they decide you pass then you pass but that doesn't guarantee you a place - thats another process?

ie if there are loads of 120.75's (as I am seeing alot of this year) then that successful glut will have the first pick of a place as they are closest to pass mark ?

The stats that tell you that only 15% get through a review at a score of 112 don't tell you how many actually got a place? or are they one and the same?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

If your review is successful then you are qualified and you got in the allocation pot along with everyone else - the school admission rules then kick in.
WhatsOn

Post by WhatsOn »

[quote="Shelly60"]Thanks WhatsOn - thats reassuring to know - I don't suppose you have any details of the type of academic evidence that case had do you?

I'm afraid I don't know exactly but I would guess they were similar to my DD's (who also went through on Review last year, though she scored 118 on the Transfer Test). To give you an idea, the Academic Evidence we submitted for our DD was:
level 3 for all end of KS1 levels
GDS for all at end of Y3/4/5
predicted 111-120 at end of KS2 (GDS in Writing)
NFER Verbal Reasoning scores for previous two years (129 and 132)
Reading Age (NFER ) 16 years + (test ceiling)
Spelling Age (NFER) 12 years + (test ceiling)

Our head has a top reputation I hear with County and he is very accurate over 3 years and that includes this year. I have to say I feel like that and the 1 Outstanding /exceptional ability - strongly recommend plus good CAT scores is teh only thing keeping me going.

Our DD's HT wrote a fantastic statement in the Additional Information box using phrases like 'strongly support', 'would thrive in grammar school environment', 'excels in all areas of the curriculum'. I am sure that the HT's past accuracy spoke volumes - all pupils put forward for Review with her support went on to be deemed qualified.

Wish you all the best.
Pootle

Post by Pootle »

Hi Shelly60
We were in exactly the same situation as you last year - my child scored 112 and we are one of the 7 who passed. I can vividly remember wanting to hear from someone in a similar situation, so I hope that this gives you a glimmer of hope :)

Similarly to WhatsOn we had:
Head 1:1 (Bucks primary)
level 3s for end of KS1
GDS years 3,4,5
Predicted 111-120 end of KS2 and GDS in writing
Strong Head's statement

Significantly, we had no further academic information to add and no extenuating circumstances other than feeling the pressure as a youngest child with siblings already at grammar school (mentioned briefly).

We weren't expecting to get through the SR and couldn't quite believe it when the letter arrived. The most important thing to us is that she is happy; loving her new school and doesn't feel at all disadvantaged or daunted by the fact that she got in through the Review process.

Good luck!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now