Chance of success at review with low score

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Shelly60

Re: Chance of success at review with low score

Post by Shelly60 »

Thankyou sooo much Whatson and Pootle - you both have given me a lot more hope. I do still need the headmasters report for the GDS and those predictions. Hopefully that we be here next week and then I will know for sure.

Amazing that Pootle was one of the seven from last year! Woop! So pleased for you and your daughter and that you perservered.

The academic evidence you both had was extremely strong as I would expect it to be. But also its helped me feel a bit better knowing that children who have all this academic potential can and do, just have a really bad day in the office.

I hope you all have a really lovely weekend knowing you have made someone else's day after a week of real anguish!
Pootle

Post by Pootle »

Have a lovely weekend too Shelly60!

This may make you feel even better - this thread (hope it works!) shows two of us from last year who were successful at 112 with a similar academic record and no extenuating circumstances: https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 13&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keeping everything crossed for you x
Shelly60

Post by Shelly60 »

Hi Again

So I now have the head teacher report and wanted to detail the academics to see what you think. I am pleased overall but a few concerns and wondered what you thought.

Head recommendation 1 :2 1- academic /2 - attitude to learning
Heads prediction accuracy - at least 80 % accurate and excellent reputation over 3 years
Key Stage 1 end of year 2 - no data available (Private prep so assume they don't do SATS) - how important is a lack of this in the overall scheme of academic potential?
Y3 - Reading - GDS;Writing/Maths EXS - will this be looked at negatively given its year 3? or will they see the progress?
Y4 - Reading, Writing & Maths - all GDS
y5 - Reading, Writing & Maths - all GDS
Target Year 6 - Reading 111- 120;Writing GDS;Maths 111-120

Feb 18 CATS
Verbal 141
Non Verbal 124
Spatial 126
Quantitive 120 is this going to get a negative reaction ?

Has not included Year 4 or 3 CATS. Do you think they should be included?

Head has included short reports from English maths and science teachers which mark her as a very able student and detail things she has grasped.

Has written an excellent recommendation and yes to being in top 30% of school population in Bucks.
Said things like X is an excellent student in every way and supports appeal without reservation. (I thought could have written Strongly supports), but then goes on to support further by saying her class work in all subjects has been of a consistently high standard across time and she has always been able to support this with tremendously impressive examination results which place her right up in the top section of her peer group. He says he is extremely confident she will go to achieve very high GCSE and A level results and that internal school assessments match the CAT s results - etc He then says he recommends her most highly. Says teachers were all stunned when she didn't pass with flying colours etc.

Extenuating circumstances
Mentions invigilators report showing how she became upset and tearful when realised she had missed 2 sections and then only had 5 minutes to race through. Thinks this affected the verbal paper substantially and then the remaining paper.

Head said up to me to show the A & E report and not to overwhelm the review as they have so much to look at.

So do I include this? - I was planning just to allude to it asking them to consider the impact on an otherwise high performing child as its a singular one off incident that happened the night before.

Any advice appreciated
thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Shelly60 wrote:Heads prediction accuracy - at least 80 % accurate and excellent reputation over 3 years
Good!
Key Stage 1 end of year 2 - no data available (Private prep so assume they don't do SATS) - how important is a lack of this in the overall scheme of academic potential?
Level 3s would have been helpful, but one would hope their attention will be on more recent evidence.
Y3 - Reading - GDS;Writing/Maths EXS - will this be looked at negatively given its year 3? or will they see the progress?
Better to have EXS in Y3 than in Y5!
Y4 - Reading, Writing & Maths - all GDS
y5 - Reading, Writing & Maths - all GDS
Target Year 6 - Reading 111- 120;Writing GDS;Maths 111-120
Good!
Feb 18 CATS
Verbal 141
Non Verbal 124
Spatial 126
Quantitive 120 is this going to get a negative reaction ?
I don't think so. The average looks all right.
Has not included Year 4 or 3 CATS. Do you think they should be included?
Y4 CATs would have been useful because they show consistency.
Y3 results appear not to have been CATs (and 118 for English doesn't help).
Head has included short reports from English maths and science teachers which mark her as a very able student and detail things she has grasped.

Has written an excellent recommendation and yes to being in top 30% of school population in Bucks.
Said things like X is an excellent student in every way and supports appeal without reservation. (I thought could have written Strongly supports), but then goes on to support further by saying her class work in all subjects has been of a consistently high standard across time and she has always been able to support this with tremendously impressive examination results which place her right up in the top section of her peer group. He says he is extremely confident she will go to achieve very high GCSE and A level results and that internal school assessments match the CAT s results - etc He then says he recommends her most highly. Says teachers were all stunned when she didn't pass with flying colours etc.
Good!
Extenuating circumstances
Mentions invigilators report showing how she became upset and tearful when realised she had missed 2 sections and then only had 5 minutes to race through. Thinks this affected the verbal paper substantially and then the remaining paper.
Helpful.
Head said up to me to show the A & E report and not to overwhelm the review as they have so much to look at.

So do I include this? - I was planning just to allude to it asking them to consider the impact on an otherwise high performing child as its a singular one off incident that happened the night before.
With a score of 112, you should certainly provide the evidence (the A&E report) of a serious disruption the night before the test.
Etienne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Does the school do KS2 tests? It seems strange to put predictions if they don't ...
Shelly60

Post by Shelly60 »

@Guest - no its independent school so they don't do SATS (if thats what you mean?) but the form asks to put schools internal assessments into the same format as per below

it says
"For the predicted performance refer to Teacher assessment frameworks at the end of Key Stage 2: For use from the 2018/19 academic year onwards (published by STA) and grade accordingly, noting that this is a ‘complete fit’ grading system and that pupils need to have demonstrated consistent attainment of all the statements within the standard. For writing, where there is no national test, please include if the child is working at greater depth (GDS). For children working at EXS in reading and mathematics, please indicate a predicted scaled score range of (100-110) or (111-120).

So regardless of type of school - all schools have to put the academics into the same format was my understanding.
I'm sure this school will have a pretty good idea how it translates.
Shelly60

Post by Shelly60 »

Thanks Etienne for such a quick reply.

Just realised there is no reading age specified? How important is that?

No spelling age either

at 112 - just wondering if its strong enough or whether I need more varied academics. But think it would show desperation to get an ed psych report (plus so expensive)

I have written my bit. Its short and just agrees with the head and just asks them to consider the impact of the A & E report. I kept to a succinct paragraph given timescales and head has written enough and I think thats what they will focus on the most.

I know I am going to fret until March but not sure I can do much more. The 2 cases that replied on my friend are the only thing keeping me hopeful and your positive comments!
But I know I will be very lucky
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

its independent school so they don't do SATS
We've dealt with a number of cases on here where independent schools do estimate what the KS2 results would be.
Shelly60 wrote:Thanks Etienne for such a quick reply.

Just realised there is no reading age specified? How important is that?

No spelling age either
I don't think these will be major points.
just wondering if its strong enough or whether I need more varied academics. But think it would show desperation to get an ed psych report (plus so expensive)
I might have suggested an EP report if you had not had the CAT scores.
I have written my bit. Its short and just agrees with the head and just asks them to consider the impact of the A & E report. I kept to a succinct paragraph given timescales and head has written enough and I think thats what they will focus on the most.
I agree - what matters is the independent evidence, not what you write! A succinct paragraph is fine.
But I know I will be very lucky
Very sensible to hope for the best, but at the same time to keep expectations realistic. :)
Etienne
Shelly60

Post by Shelly60 »

Hi Etienne

I have received a successful result this morning for my child’s review and we are all thrilled. On a score of 112 I had quite low expectations given only 7/52 got through last year. We had set our sights on the local school which actually is doing well and despite being initially very disappointed I came to the realisation that she would still achieve whoever she went.
I can’t thank you enough for the invaluable advice you have given me and all the others on this forum.

And thanks to others including pootle etc who came on to share and support from last year

All the best to those receiving news in Bucks today whatever your results.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Shelly60 wrote:Hi Etienne

I have received a successful result this morning for my child’s review and we are all thrilled. On a score of 112 I had quite low expectations given only 7/52 got through last year.
That's such wonderful news, Shelly.

Many congratulations! :D
Etienne