Advice required for Bucks/Slough appeals

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

yazzhussain

Advice required for Bucks/Slough appeals

Post by yazzhussain »

Hi everyone....I am a fairly new member, but so glad I found this forum!
My eldest child, my DD received 119 in the Bucks 11 plus and 110 in the Slough, so close both times! She is so disappointed as mentally prepared herself for passes in both exams.
I am looking to appeal and have read all the info on here which has been great. There were no circumstances that I can mention that affected her scores, as she literally just missed by a mark or 2. Her Year 5 report was amazing as she exceeded national expectations for English and Maths and an average ended of tar arithmetic score of 87%. I just need some advice on what my chances could look like for
Both bucks and Slough, and assistance with my supporting letter. The school is on a 2 week half term break now so I am worried I might not get supporting letters from the HT and her Year 5 teacher prior to the deadline of submitting it all, which is 20 days from the results. Any advice would be great, as I am drowning with all the info available!
Guest55

Re: Advice required for Bucks/Slough appeals

Post by Guest55 »

Welcome.

Are you in catchment for a Bucks Grammar school? You do need the Head to complete the HT form; have you got a copy of this yet or made an appointment?
You need a lot of data: KS1 levels, Year 3, 4 and 5 assessment is the specified format and KS2 test predictions.

You need to read the guidance from Etienne on Bucks HT reviews and then get back to us.
yazzhussain

Post by yazzhussain »

Yes, we are in catchment for Burnham GS.
Aa it’s half term this week and next week, I am struggling to make contact with the HT. The HTs PA emailed me saying she didn’t know when she would be in, but she has sent her my urgent email regarding the appeal. I don’t know what more to do. Saying that, my DDs Year 5 teacher emailed me saying he would write a supporting letter, and asking me if there’s anything specific he needs to write about and also who to address the letter to? Any advice on this?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You need the HT review form; without that a letter is not really going to help. Is the school a Partner school or did your child sit the test at a GS?
yazzhussain

Post by yazzhussain »

She sat the tests at a GS. I am going to see if I can get a response from the HT, times not on my side, and with half term, the timings not the best. Can the HT not submit a statement at a later date? If I submit the form and explain this?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I don't think so - have you read Etienne's thread on reviews?

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... aneous#e32" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yazzhussain

Post by yazzhussain »

I have just checked the Bucks appeal selection review form and I can tick the box to state that the HTs completed form will be sent as soon as I receive it. I think that’s the best option for me considering the situation.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The official guidance says:
Parents have until 2 November to return the request form (and supporting evidence) following receipt of their child’s test results.

If a ‘Parents Selection Review Form’ is received later than 2 November by the Admissions and Transport Team then it may not be possible to schedule the review within the normal timescale and this may mean the decision cannot be included ready for the allocation on 1 March.

It is best if all the information is received in one bundle from parents, but if this is not possible then they can return part of the paperwork and indicate further information is ‘to follow’. However, all supporting information, including the Selection Review Summary Sheet for Headteachers, must be received by 2 November 2018 at the latest.
It is only on receipt of the parent’s Selection Review Form indicating that the headteacher’s form is either enclosed, OR they have ticked the box to say is not going to be included in the information supplied, that the Admissions and Transport Team will allocate a SRP date for the case to be considered. If the parent returns their form indicating that the headteacher’s form is ‘to follow’ then their review will only be scheduled when the parent sends in the outstanding headteacher’s form.
my urgent email regarding the appeal
It's a review, not an appeal. Best not to confuse the two. They are quite different. :)
Etienne
yazzhussain

Post by yazzhussain »

Yes, I meant review....still in the learning stage with all of this. :shock:
I am still very concerned about getting hold of the HT to get all the info over to Bucks on time. Kids are not back until 29th Oct and she’s on holiday until then so her PA tells me.
She will obviously need some time to get the info from my DDS files. Hmmmm.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You can always take it to Aylesbury and deliver it by hand.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now