Is it worth appealing in my son's case, for Bourne grammar?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

rachvant

Is it worth appealing in my son's case, for Bourne grammar?

Post by rachvant »

Hi all, my son got a score of 212 in the recent 11+ test. Qualifying score for a place is 220. He was born in the last week of August, so is very young for his cohort. However the school have said they will add 10 marks to all the summer-born children's scores, so I assume the 212 already includes the 10 marks added.

I am just wondering if it is worth appealing? He has been home-educated and so no teacher's reports as such to prove he is of the right academic standard. I have read a lot of news reports about how boys typically fare worse than girls academically, and him being quite a typical boy and also social, though a good reader, I suppose the results he got weren't much of a shocker to me though he feels gutted he missed by 8 marks. He has a good friend who attends the school now. Prior to the exam he did some practice using the Bond paper books but he didn't do so well in them. My daughters do better at those books than he does, in my experience.

My husband thinks I should appeal. Thoughts please?
DC17C

Re: Is it worth appealing in my son's case, for Bourne gramm

Post by DC17C »

I don’t know the school but i suspect it would be extremely difficult to win an appeal without some stellar academic evidence and possibly some extenuating circumstances. Look through the appeal info on this site it may help you make up your mind.
An ed psych report might help to get alternative evidence...it’s tough on kids to deal with disappointments but sometimes all we can do is help them survive the experience and move on from it...I feel for any parent going through it...its a horrible time...
hermanmunster

Re: Is it worth appealing in my son's case, for Bourne gramm

Post by hermanmunster »

I think DC17C is right, academic evidence is essential - there are some comments here:

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b61" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now