11 plus bucks review

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Etienne

Re: 11 plus bucks review

Post by Etienne »

The advice given to headteachers states:
• Be aware that your choice of language on the form is important as it will indicate the degree of support you are expressing.
It doesn't invalidate your case, but it would probably have been a bonus if she could have used some such language as "I strongly support" in part 6.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b41" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(But as Guest55 points out, she can't be forced. She may feel the '2' recommendation speaks for itself.)
Etienne
Sarah.tak

Post by Sarah.tak »

Hi

I spoke to her and she said that that box is for any additional evidence. She said like if she played a musical instrument and got an award. She said she can’t just write she supports the appeal. Needs evidence.

Any ideas pls xx
lea2124

Post by lea2124 »

Our HT has written a letter accompanying the form and in section 6 has written "please see attached letter".
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I spoke to her and she said that that box is for any additional evidence. She said like if she played a musical instrument and got an award. She said she can’t just write she supports the appeal. Needs evidence.
Does it say "additional evidence" or "additional information"?

I recollect that it used to say "statement of support" or something along the lines "indicate the strength of your support". Unfortunately that wording has changed.

• We have certainly had cases on the forum where headteachers have used part 6 to support the review.
• As Guest55 has pointed out, most headteachers write something.
• Where else on the form does she think she can demonstrate her degree of support, bearing in mind the guidance given to headteachers by the LA? ("Be aware that your choice of language on the form is important as it will indicate the degree of support you are expressing.")
She said she can’t just write she supports the appeal
Did she really use the word "appeal"? :?
Any ideas
Not sure what you can do about it if she won't co-operate. As I've previously said, it doesn't invalidate your case, but - depending on what was written - it might have been a bonus.
Etienne
Sarah.tak

Post by Sarah.tak »

Hi

The exact wording is

6. Head teacher’s additional information in support of the child (including, if a suitability level of 3 or 4 has been given, a clarification of reservation):
Sarah.tak

Post by Sarah.tak »

Sorry I meant review not appeal.

Thanks for replying.

She said if I can think of any achievements she gained she could add them into that section.
Sarah.tak

Post by Sarah.tak »

Also year 3 and 4 show gds as results. But in year 5 she drops in reading. So it shows that in year 5 her circumstances at home affected her achievement.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The exact wording is
6. Head teacher’s additional information in support of the child (including, if a suitability level of 3 or 4 has been given, a clarification of reservation):
... which seems to show that it's not just a matter of additional evidence such as a grade for music.
But in year 5 she drops in reading
So what is being predicted for the end of Y6?
If the head says 100-110 for reading, it won't be high enough.
If she says 111-120, she ought to explain in part 6 that there has been rapid progress this year. Otherwise the prediction won't look credible if Y5 reading was EXS.
Etienne
Sarah.tak

Post by Sarah.tak »

Thanks Etienne

Do you think I should talk to head and ask her if she could write something in that coloumn 6 ?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Do you think I should talk to head and ask her if she could write something in that coloumn 6 ?
It depends on your relationship with the head. I'm afraid only you can decide that.
And, of course, it won't help unless she feels she can write something really positive.

Here is evidence of what other heads use part 6 for:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 40#p692740" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Our DD's HT wrote a fantastic statement in the Additional Information box using phrases like 'strongly support', 'would thrive in grammar school environment', 'excels in all areas of the curriculum'. I am sure that the HT's past accuracy spoke volumes - all pupils put forward for Review with her support went on to be deemed qualified.
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now