Thoughts on relevance - Buck selection review

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
crcreview

Thoughts on relevance - Buck selection review

Post by crcreview »

Just a quick reality check if you would. I've been lurking here for a little while and have read all the posts etc and have a pretty good idea of the way it works.

My child had a score of 120.75. We are going to selection review.

Based purely on academic evidence alone (Bucks partner school) - ignore extenuating circumstances we have some that I think are very relevant but they are a bit outing so I'd rather not go into on forum but as you always say the most important part is the academic evidence.

Head recommend at 2:1. Lots of positive comments about academic ability in general, shocked she didn't pass etc. Head has a good reputation for predicting correctly but I have no idea how many got in this year as against his predictions (he says it was an accurate prediction again but I don't have access to this information).

All 3s at end of KS1 from infant school (different school).
GDS at reading and writing years 3, 4, 5 and 111-120 predicted year 6.
EXS at maths in years 3 and 4 with GDS in year 5 and 111-120 predicted year 6.

I think this is all pretty accurate. No outside tests to back up however.

I think the weaknesses in our case are that (1) we don't have external back-up (other than the fact that she was rated highly by two different schools) and (2) that she had EXS in maths in years 3 and 4 (there was a slight dip in performance in these two years as she struggled to adjust to a new school and a very difficult family situation - it didn't bring down the English as she finds that very easy, has been a fluent reader from the age of 3 but maths where she has to work a bit more did dip slightly although she recovered in year 5 and is working at the absolute top level now).

Could you comment as to how relevant you think this might be with a 120.75 score (which is surely its own form of academic evidence) and whether I should make any comment about why she dipped in maths in years 3 and 4 (headteacher has not) - my inclination is not to labour this point and let the rest of the school evidence speak for us.
crcreview

Re: Thoughts on relevance - Buck selection review

Post by crcreview »

and another question - is there a way I can check what the school predicted/the accuracy this year (and previous years). I know I can't do anything about it, I'd just like to know.
lea2124

Post by lea2124 »

Hi, I can't really help I'm afraid (not an expert) but just wanted to say I feel for you, we're also in the same situation as you. DS scored 120.75 too and we handed in our SR form yesterday. I'm also worried about historical levels (DS wasn't level 3 for everything in year2). Plus I'm concerned how many other children who are going down the SR process from our school were also scored as 1:1 by the headteacher. It's not like I can question her recommendations or professional opinions lol.

All we can do is hope our 2 children are in the 80% of successful selection reviews.

A long 105 (approx.) days wait.
Feel free to PM me if you want to sound off with a fellow 120.75er lol.
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

Welcome!

At 120.75 it’s pretty good so far . I always feel it’s important to note why they may have not performed on the day especially when they have strong academic evidence. I did this with my eldest DD1 at review. I think I said along the lines of, due to the importance of the test nerves must have got the better of her on the day etc.

It’s just my point of view although others on here may say as your so close to the pass mark you don’t need to. Dolly xx
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!
Could you comment as to how relevant you think this might be with a 120.75 score (which is surely its own form of academic evidence) and whether I should make any comment about why she dipped in maths in years 3 and 4 (headteacher has not)
I think it's worth a very brief mention - not because you need to explain the shortfall of 0.25 of a mark, but because it might be a wise precaution to pre-empt any doubts about your evidence for Y3-Y4.
and another question - is there a way I can check what the school predicted/the accuracy this year (and previous years). I know I can't do anything about it, I'd just like to know.
The headteacher should have all the data, but many heads seem reluctant to part with the information!

Admissions also hold the data, and will make it available to the Review Panel and (in the event of an appeal) to all parties at an appeal hearing.
You could therefore try requesting the data from the Freedom of Information Officer, Bucks County Council.
See the example here:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a39" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(N.B. They normally have 20 working days to respond to a Freedom of Information request.
And the request could be refused if the numbers at the school who took the test are so low that individual children could be identified.)
Etienne
crcreview

Post by crcreview »

Thank you everyone for the welcome and the helpful comments.

Getting to the crux of what I am asking. We have extenuating circumstances for the shortfall on the day. This is backed up by the head's report and a comprehensive GP's letter.

The head makes no mention of why child dipped in yrs 3 and 4 in maths. I don't think he is aware why. He is now on half term so I think my chances of getting this in are slim. I know why it happened. My younger son was diagnosed with developmental delay and autism just as older child entered year 3. My husband and I went through a grieving process coming to terms with the loss of the child we thought we had and accepting what we do have (which is actually lovely). You try not to let your worries spill over to children but fear we were not always successful. I personally think this was a very difficult time for my older child and as she was at a new school she did not have the peer support network that she had had previously. She would never dip in English as she doesn't need to think in this subject, her refuge is books. In relation to maths she just didn't make the usual effort I think and was distracted by what was happening.
The thing is other than my son's diagnosis letter and mountain of reports I have no way of evidencing what she went through. I wonder if putting in this long explanation in my part of the form which relates to something that happened 3 years ago would detract from the rest of the good academic evidence and highlight/ put too much importance on the maths results.

I suppose I could just say. "DC's academic suitability for grammar school is supported by the head's report which shows high academic attainment over all areas of the curriculum in two different schools. On changing schools in year 3 there was a slight dip in attainment in maths. We consider that this was down to the considerable stress and grief the whole family was under at this time when youngest child was diagnosed with autism and developmental delay (diagnosis letter appended?). DC received some counselling for this through school during year 5 and as she has grown in confidence her attainment in maths has matched her greater depth attainment in the rest of the curriculum."

I am tossing up between doing this and ignoring it. It potentially seems like too many extenuating circumstances (given that we already have extenuating circumstances for the day).
Any thoughts on best way to proceed would be gratefully received. Thank you
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

crcreview wrote:It potentially seems like too many extenuating circumstances (given that we already have extenuating circumstances for the day).
I think you already know the answer ... :D

I am sending you a PM about one aspect of your case.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now