Help with Y2 SATs for Bucks Review

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

rhiane

Re: Help with Y2 SATs for Bucks Review

Post by rhiane »

Guest55 wrote:It depends what the HT as written and we need to see that first.

At an appeal a wider range of evidence can be considered before an independent panel [not Heads as a review] - this can include marked books and the parent is there to answer any questions. By later in Year 6 then stronger prediction might be available - the risk is the school will be full but with a sibling the case would be stronger for a place if deemed qualified.
Thank you, I've passed this on to her
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

If a review is unsuccessful, and it was carried out in a ‘fair, consistent and objective’ manner would an appeal be just thrown out?
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

rhiane wrote:If a review is unsuccessful, and it was carried out in a ‘fair, consistent and objective’ manner would an appeal be just thrown out?
Basically Yes.

If the review is unsuccessful and has been carried out in an FCO manner then that is it - the only way an appeal with its evidence would be considered is if you are able to prove that the review was not FCO - which, trust me, is very hard to prove. Unless you have at this stage strong acadmic evidence, strong Head Teacher support and able to show why DC did not perform well on the day then from my own personal experience (went to review, unsucceessul, not able to prove FCO at appeal) an appeal may be the better option - longer to gather evidence/proof of academic ability.
Heartmum x x x
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

heartmum wrote:
rhiane wrote:If a review is unsuccessful, and it was carried out in a ‘fair, consistent and objective’ manner would an appeal be just thrown out?
Basically Yes.

If the review is unsuccessful and has been carried out in an FCO manner then that is it - the only way an appeal with its evidence would be considered is if you are able to prove that the review was not FCO - which, trust me, is very hard to prove. Unless you have at this stage strong acadmic evidence, strong Head Teacher support and able to show why DC did not perform well on the day then from my own personal experience (went to review, unsucceessul, not able to prove FCO at appeal) an appeal may be the better option - longer to gather evidence/proof of academic ability.
Thank you, this is exactly what I thought, but it's good to hear it from the 'horses mouth'
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It certainly helps an appellant if there is proof that an unsuccessful review was not FCO.

However, that's not quite what the Appeals Code says.
The cryptic wording is:
    • "3.13b. where a local review process has been followed, the panel must only consider whether each child’s review was carried out in a fair, consistent and objective way and if there is no evidence that this has been done, the panel must follow the process in paragraph 3.13(a) above."
(N.B. the process in 3.13a is for a normal appeal)
Etienne
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

Etienne wrote:It certainly helps an appellant if there is proof that an unsuccessful review was not FCO.

However, that's not quite what the Appeals Code says.
The cryptic wording is:
    • "3.13b. where a local review process has been followed, the panel must only consider whether each child’s review was carried out in a fair, consistent and objective way and if there is no evidence that this has been done, the panel must follow the process in paragraph 3.13(a) above."
(N.B. the process in 3.13a is for a normal appeal)
I did read that, but wasn't 100% sure what it meant?
Does it mean that if the review was carried out in a CFO way then an appeal carries on as normal, regardless of a failed review? what would happen if it wasn't carried out in a CFO way, would that be an automatic qualification with going through the actual appeal?

Sorry I'm getting a bit confused now
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

OK - you go through a review and it is not successful but you appeal in March.

You prepare for the appeal and go through with it including the FCO aspect and over-subscription. The panel make you present the whole appeal and you have no idea it the FCO hurdle has been overcome at the time.

When you get the result of the appeal it may say you weren't successful at the FCO bit.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Sorry I'm getting a bit confused now
That's why I call the wording cryptic! :lol:

Have you seen Section D of this sticky?
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 77#p656877" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Does it mean that if the review was carried out in a CFO way then an appeal carries on as normal
The appeal carries on as normal if there is no evidence that the review was FCO.

If there is evidence that the review was FCO, the appeal is dismissed.

(X- post with Guest55)
Etienne
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

Etienne wrote:

If there is evidence that the review was FCO, the appeal is dismissed.

(X- post with Guest55)

So it's pretty much as heartmum said, the wording is unnecessarily confusing, in a nutshell if the review was carried out FCO it will be dismissed.

Gosh, this is a lot for my little brain to take in!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes but you aren't told at the time so you present the whole case ...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now