Help with Y2 SATs for Bucks Review

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

rhiane

Re: Help with Y2 SATs for Bucks Review

Post by rhiane »

Guest55 wrote:OK - you go through a review and it is not successful but you appeal in March.

You prepare for the appeal and go through with it including the FCO aspect and over-subscription. The panel make you present the whole appeal and you have no idea it the FCO hurdle has been overcome at the time.

When you get the result of the appeal it may say you weren't successful at the FCO bit.
That would be such a waste of time and effort for both the panel and the appellant, not to mention the stress involved for the appallant.

Think I need to sleep on all this info before I try and explain it to my friend, better still I will send her the links and she can read it all for herself, i'm not good at explaining things and am bound to get it wrong.

Thank you.
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

Etienne wrote:

Have you seen Section D of this sticky?
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 77#p656877" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I did read this some time ago, (just out of interest at the time)
It's a lot to take in and my brain can't take anymore tonight so I'll have a detailed read in the morning and also pass the info on to my friend.

Thank you all, your help here (and the help/support i've had over the past 4 years for DD & DSs 11+ journeys has been invaluable) things are much clearer now and it's appreciated.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

rhiane wrote:So it's pretty much as heartmum said
Not quite. She's entirely right about the consequences, but does the wording of the Code mean that it is for the parent to prove that their review was not FCO? Or for the school to prove that it was?
in a nutshell if the review was carried out FCO it will be dismissed.
Or more precisely - "if the appeal panel accepts there is evidence to show that the review was carried out fairly, consistently and objectively, the appeal will be dismissed." Yes.
Thank you all, your help here (and the help/support i've had over the past 4 years for DD & DSs 11+ journeys has been invaluable) things are much clearer now and it's appreciated.
You're most welcome! :D
Etienne
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

rhiane as you have said it is very confusing :roll: as Guest55 and Etienne have said - if you choose to go to review and you are unsuccessful you can then decide to appeal (as we did). At the Appeal hearing you then have three parts, (1) FCO (2) Qualification/Academic Evidence (3) Oversubsciption - if relevant, on one of our panels the school was not oversubscribed at that point so we only had part 1 and part 2; the other school we had to cover all three areas. Unfortunately on both we did not get over the first hurdle - FCO, which we were informed of within the decision letter but not at the time of the appeal.

You do have to go through each section of the appeal, and only find out the panels decision of FCO when you receive your appeal letter - if the panel decide the review was FCO then they do not consider the other areas, however if the panel agree the review was not FCO then they will consider the other areas put forward at the appeal. Obviously if you choose not to go to review then you do not have to prove FCO and therefore only have to cover (2) Qualification/Academic Evidence (which can include extenuating circunstances if you have any) (3) Oversubscription.

Good Luck x x x
Heartmum x x x
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

Thank you all very much, especially, Guest55, Etienne and Heartmum, your info is invaluable.

I've read though all Bucks review posts for the past couple of years including "Feedback from all areas"
Heartmum, your post on that thread is brilliant, so much info, I'm sorry you weren't successful.
Appeals are certainly not for the 'faint of heart' that's for sure!
I appealed for a primary school place when we moved to our current address and was an emotional wreck (we won though) it was nothing like Grammar appeals!

Thank you again, I'm now in a better position to explain all this to my friend, I'm still hoping she'll register on this site for herself as it will make better sense to her reading it firsthand (I'm useless at passing on info, especially as in-depth as this)

Thanks again

Edited to correct a name
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

rhiane wrote:Thank you all very much, especially, Guest55, Etienne and Heartmum, your info is invaluable.
No problem :D
rhiane wrote:Heartmum, your post on that thread is brilliant, so much info, I'm sorry you weren't successful.
Although upsetting at the time, for us it was not all doom and gloom .... DC took the 13+, qualified and is now at Grammar School - and very happy too :D
Heartmum x x x
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now