Low score but enough evidence to warrant selection review

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Jane26451

Low score but enough evidence to warrant selection review

Post by Jane26451 »

Hi

I hope you can help. This forum has very kindly helped in the past with my first DC.

My second DC did not qualify and has quite a low score of 111. We are aware that the chances of success at selection review are low but would be grateful for any thoughts/comments you have as we think it wouldn't be fair on them if we didn't give it a go. Their overall scores were Verbal-112, Maths-98 and Non-verbal-122. They are summer born and the score was a surprise, particularly the maths and non-verbal (which is really strong).

I have copied the bullets from our (very draft) selection review letter below. We are still trying to obtain much of the information as the info promised by their school was not provided before half term. The school have confirmed the below though and have said that they would absolutely support us with a review. We will also get a second letter of support from the previous head teacher.

Academic Evidence
• Attained 111 in the 11+
• Head teacher recommendation for Grammar School suitability is 2 [attitude to learning was also scored 2. My understanding is that their predictions were pretty accurate but they will not share the stats with me]
• “Very strongly” supported by the head teacher - please see attached Head Teacher's Review Summary (appendix 1) [- tbc as only provided verbal support so far]
• High grades for achievement – please see attached Head Teacher's Review Summary (appendix 1) [again tbc but we expect this should show exceeds/greater depth]
• Overall CAT4 scores of 130 (=98th percentile) in 2018 and 128 (=97th percentile) in 2017 with strong standardised scores in every category - please see attached CAT4 summary (appendix 2) [Is there anything else I can add here? They were 1st and 2nd in their class cohort. Their scores in 2017 were V-122, Q-119, NV-141, S-130. Their scores in 2018 were V-118, Q-123, NV-141, S-138]
• Level 3 for KS1 SATs - Writing, Maths, Science and Level 2A for KS1 SATS reading
• Reading age of X when last tested in XX [TBC]
• Predicted scaled scores of 111-120 in Reading and Maths for end of KS2, and “greater depth” for Writing.
• Has been awarded Duke of York Digital Bronze award [Do you think I should include this? - this is a recent award, i.e. October 2018]

Extenuating Circumstances
• Disruption during the exam [there was an incident during the exam that I believe was very disruptive. I do not want to post this on the forum though due to the likelihood of this enabling identification. I am awaiting confirmation from the school that they reporting this.]

We hope you would be prepared to take the view that these extenuating circumstances are sufficient to explain the shortfall in marks

Thank you for taking the time to consider our case

In addition our DC also suffers from low level asthma, particularly in Sept-Jan each year. This does not require medical intervention other than inhalers and is a chronic condition. The key issue with this is it is tiring and distracting. It is difficult to provide evidence other than prescriptions etc. I am not sure that this is a helpful circumstance to include or whether it will just look like we are desperately trying to find extenuating circumstances - which to a degree we are.

Thank you - any observations would be very helpful.
Guest55

Re: Low score but enough evidence to warrant selection revie

Post by Guest55 »

Is this a Bucks primary or partner school?

We need to see the full picture really. You can send confidential details to the appeals box.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... php?t=9907" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

My immediate reaction on reading your post is that this may be one of those rare cases where you need to persuade the Review Panel to simply "throw out the test score" and look at the academic evidence.

The disruption you mention on the day may well have played a part, but otherwise, this might just be one of those cases where an otherwise able child simply had "a bad day at the office". It does happen.

I would also like to see the case papers via the AppealsBox once you have the Head's input.

In the meantime, let me know via PM which school it is, and I may be able to give a view on how reliable the Head's Recommendations have been in the past.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome back! :)

The CAT scores look consistently good.
Predicted scaled scores of 111-120 in Reading and Maths for end of KS2, and “greater depth” for Writing.
Predictions are fine, but we shall need to see what the head puts down for Y3-Y5.
Duke of York Digital Bronze award
It won't do any harm to include just a copy of the certificate.
In addition our DC also suffers from low level asthma, particularly in Sept-Jan each year. This does not require medical intervention other than inhalers and is a chronic condition. The key issue with this is it is tiring and distracting. It is difficult to provide evidence other than prescriptions etc. I am not sure that this is a helpful circumstance to include or whether it will just look like we are desperately trying to find extenuating circumstances - which to a degree we are.
If he was tired on the day, then with a score of 111 I think you probably do need to include this. Would the GP be willing to write "DC suffers from low level asthma, particularly in Sept-Jan each year. This does not require medical intervention other than inhalers and is a chronic condition. The key issue with this is it is tiring and distracting"?
However, I agree with S-A in that I think the main point should be that 111 was a complete and utter blip (especially in the light of consistently high CAT scores).

You've made a good start on your case.
We'll know more when the head has filled in the review form.
Etienne
Jane26451

Post by Jane26451 »

Hi

Thank you all for your responses and suggestion. I think you may be right about the 'blip' - it is hard to understand why my DC was so far away from 121.

They go to a Bucks Primary School.

I have sent a bit more context to the appeals box and will send more information when I receive it from the school.

Jane26451
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Just to add that a lot of people are looked after by the asthma nurse at practices and they may be happy to write about the condition. Worth also noting that sometimes the daytime effects can be minimal but they get night time cough which can disturb sleep.
Jane26451

Post by Jane26451 »

Hi

I now have a copy of the head teacher's summary and have emailed it to the appeals box. Unfortunately my DC's english SATs have been graded exceeds rather than greater depth but I think the rest is helpful. I would welcome your thoughts.

Thanks
Jane26451
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hi - nothing has come through yet.
Etienne
Jane26451

Post by Jane26451 »

Hi Etienne

Thanks for letting me know. I have just found the email in my drafts. It has now been sent. Apologies.

Jane26451
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Thanks - I think the main problem will be writing assessments throughout KS2 which look low. Hopefully the strong CATs will help - personally I think it will be borderline
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now