Bucks selection review - Score of 116

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

AJJ0608

Bucks selection review - Score of 116

Post by AJJ0608 »

Hello All,

Been a lurker for years and would really appreciate if you can help us in making a decision whether to do a selection review or wait for appeal. My DS scored 116 in the Bucks test and I have been to see the Head teacher for advise on selection review - she has given a letter of support which though sounds good I believe lacks the real content that is needed.

Head Teachers recommendation is 2:2

For KS1 - Maths 2A and Reading 2A, Writing 2B
Year 3- Reading EXS and Writing, EXS. Maths - GDS
Year 4 - Reading EXS and Writing - EXS, Maths -GDS
Year 5 - Reading EXS and Writing - EXS , Maths - GDS
Predicted Performance in Year 6 SATs- Reading and Writing - 100-110, Maths - 111 - 120

The school also does PUMA and PIRA test and his scores were as follows;

Year 3 - Reading - 103, Maths- 121, Writing Expected
Year 4 - Reading - 110, Maths - 119, Writing - Exceeding
Year 5 - Reading - 111, Maths - 124, Writing - Expected

Please advise if you feel that the above academic record is strong enough to go for academic review.

Extenuating Circumstances were;

This year - we have had two bereavements of close family members - both Brother in law (died Jan) and Mother in law (died in June) .
My sister was diagnosed with Breast Cancer and was with us for 8 weeks from March - May while undergoing Radiation Treatment - I was taking her to appointments
My mother took in ill end of June and had to undergo surgery - I had to go abroad end of July to see for 10 days.

I will really appreciate your comments/ advise. I will send the wording of the Headteacher's letter to the appeal box.

Thank you
Etienne

Re: Bucks selection review - Score of 116

Post by Etienne »

Welcome! :)

The 2:2 recommendation could be perfectly acceptable - depending on how realistic the head's overall recommendations have been. (As it's a partner school, both the review panel and an appeal panel will have this information.)

Our advice in the Q&As with regard to attainment is:
    • E32 (b) For a successful review we suggest you might need the following:

Significantly above expectations in reading, writing and maths. Following the abolition of ‘levels’, headteachers may be asked to give a predicted range for reading and maths (100-110 or 111-120). If so, 111-120 is likely to be needed for review (or appeal) purposes, provided the prediction looks realistic in the light of previous and current progress.
      For writing, the expectation is likely to be ‘working at greater depth’.
      https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... aneous#e32" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I do sympathise greatly with all the extenuating circumstances, but any panel is going to note that attainment prior to Y5 wasn't significantly above expectations.
Level 3s at KS2 would have been the ideal starting point, followed by GDS in all core subjects.

The PIRA/PUMA scores are good / above average, but again not significantly above average (apart perhaps from Y5 maths).
See our thoughts on standardised scores:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b57" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
she has given a letter of support which though sounds good I believe lacks the real content that is needed
I see what you mean about content.
The headteacher has some nice things to say, but tends to use the word "good" rather than "very good" or "excellent" (which seems consistent with "above average" rather than "significantly above average").
The reference to sporting achievements is, I'm afraid, irrelevant. Sport is not a criterion for entry to grammar school!
Perhaps you've seen our suggestions for what to look for in a headteacher's letter of support?
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b41" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry that I can't be more encouraging, but I wouldn't want to mislead you about your chances at a review or appeal.
Etienne
AJJ0608

Post by AJJ0608 »

Thank you Etienne for your response. I knew this was not looking good but having looked at the stats for the Appeals without Selection review for Bucks - It seems that is Impossible . I am unsure how to proceed with this - whether to proceed with the Review or wait for the appeal.

Thank you
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Sorry to hear about your circumstances.

I have to agree that the progress profile from KS1 is not that positive and I fear that a review would probably be unsuccessful.

The chances of an appeal are better than those of an unsuccessful review - is it possible that the KS2 predictions would be higher later in the year?
AJJ0608

Post by AJJ0608 »

Thank you Guest55. I will contact the teacher - she is becoming sick of my face by now to ask what she would say.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now