Appeal in March 2019 - Should I ask for FC&O from LA now?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Knobbly

Appeal in March 2019 - Should I ask for FC&O from LA now?

Post by Knobbly »

Son has NOT qualified, and has had an UNSUCCESSFUL Selection Review

We are planning to appeal in March 2019. I will need to dispute review as being not FCO and hope to include the several of the good ideas found on this website. As part of the 'Not FCO' I'd like to enquire how much time was spent on the review, and similar questions specific to his review.

It would seem unfair (even churlish?) to expect the LA rep to have metrics of a review which took place 6 months previously. Should I write to the LA asking for this information now or spring it on them at the appeal?

Thanks!
Guest55

Re: Appeal in March 2019 - Should I ask for FC&O from LA now

Post by Guest55 »

Which LA is this?
Knobbly

Post by Knobbly »

Guest55 wrote:Which LA is this?
Medway
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Sorry I'm not familiar with Medway; is this a HT review? I thought Bucks was the only LA that used the term 'selection review'?

Wait until a Medway expert comes along :)
Knobbly

Post by Knobbly »

Guest55 wrote:Sorry I'm not familiar with Medway; is this a HT review? I thought Bucks was the only LA that used the term 'selection review'?
Wait until a Medway expert comes along :)
I may have got the terms mixed up (I'm new to this!)
If a Medway child fails the 11+ then an academic review can be requested by the child's parents. The review panel considers a selection of school work (English, Maths, and Science), recent standardised test results (in our case CAT4), forecast Y6 results and a recommendation from the HT regarding grammar suitability - this is just a YES / NO response.

Given that the review upheld the Medway Test result our next - and only chance - is to appeal at school provisioning time in March 2019. However in March we must challenge the Review FC&O to enable the appeal to take place.

Just wondering if I'd need to brief the LA with my questions now (ie, how much time was spent on the review, why were the CAT4 results or HT response not considered).

Thanks!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)
It would seem unfair (even churlish?) to expect the LA rep to have metrics of a review which took place 6 months previously
I'm not so sure it would be unfair.
Our view is that the wording of 3.13b of the Appeals Code requires the LA/AA to prove FCO in each case.
If their representative turns up at the appeal unable to answer questions about a particular review, arguably their case should be weakened.

However, a lot depends on your appeal panel. We've no recent experience of Medway, but our impression used to be that their panels were split 50/50 with regard to the FCO issue.

What information - if any - have you been given about the decision?
A detailed explanation of how it was reached? (I doubt it!)
A copy of the clerk's notes (assuming they exist)?
Etienne