Gloucestershire Appeals- oversubscription or academic?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

monkeyboot

Gloucestershire Appeals- oversubscription or academic?

Post by monkeyboot »

Hi there,

DD got a low qualifying score for our local grammar. She had put a lot of work in and performed well in mocks but think she had a 'bad day' for the test. Based on last years figures, she's about 40 places below the lowest rank they offered to.

I understand that as she attained a qualifying score for the school then we would need to appeal on grounds of oversubscription but can we also use academic evidence on the basis that the test result wasn't a true reflection of her academic ability? I honestly feel on a good day she would have ranked high enough to be in the PAN.

She has excellent school reports, very high reading age and in my (admittedly bias) opinion, she is a grade A student who just had a bad day on the test. I am sure the headteacher and her class teacher(s) would be willing to back this up and write a letter of reference , provide SAT predictions etc.

Other (possibly mitigating) factors- i realise these are possibly just going to be seen as minor (excuses?) but thought i should mention them anyway.

1) During the test a girl was crying next to her for the first part of the 2nd test- this was logged in the invigilators report, but listed as minor (only lasting 5 minutes or so, although my daughter claimed it was longer)

2) I made the mistake of giving her a small bottle of squash, which she doesn't normally have, as a treat. Think was was a bit nervous and drunk it all during the break. As a result she was dying for the toilet for the last 30 minutes or so of the 2nd test but after the distraction of the 'crying incident' was struggling to get all the questions answered, didn't want to go and then struggled to concentrate.

In terms of appealing on the grounds of oversubscription- the school is our closest school (800 metres), lots of her friends are going there and logistically its a lot easier for transport. She/we loved the school and we feel she would fit in well there.

Based on all this - what do you think is the best way forwards with an appeal? Would we be able to also include academic evidence or would it be best to stick to arguing against oversubscription? My feeling is that surely if we can prove her academic level is not reflected by her test score and feel she should have ranked much higher then we can also appeal on academic grounds?

Thanks, in advance

J
Etienne

Re: Gloucestershire Appeals- oversubscription or academic?

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)

Lots of reading to do.
Start here.

With regard to your specific question, please see:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... ication#b1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
    • b. This section might also be relevant if the 11+ score was one of the admission criteria, and the score achieved was not high enough to gain a place. If you have sufficient evidence of academic ability – and possibly of extenuating circumstances too – then, in addition to any arguments dealing with the oversubscription part of the appeal, you may wish to argue that your child was expected to perform even more highly in the 11+ than he/she did.
Etienne
monkeyboot

Post by monkeyboot »

Thanks Etienne,

I have checked out most of the reading- but must have missed that point!

Any advice on the best way to structure the appeal? Should the focus be oversubscription or both oversubscription and academic ability equally?

Any advice on the listed mitigating factors during the test? Are they worth focusing on?

Thanks again

J
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

monkeyboot wrote:Any advice on the best way to structure the appeal? Should the focus be oversubscription or both oversubscription and academic ability equally?
I would give them equal weight (not least because it's always difficult to know what a particular panel might be looking for).
Any advice on the listed mitigating factors during the test? Are they worth focusing on?
The first - as you realise - is weakened by the word "minor", and the second can't be proved. I would keep them in reserve in case you are asked why she underperformed on the day.

Probably best to argue that the result was a complete 'blip' - for which there is hopefully strong evidence from the current school.
Etienne
monkeyboot

Post by monkeyboot »

Thanks Etienne, very helpful.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Id say the more academic evidence you can provide the more compelling your case is likely to be...but it will depend on the school and their history with appeals...I suspect it might get harder as so many of the the Gloucester schools have increased their PANs so are becoming gradually bigger throughout the years...Personally I think being local should make a difference and was part of my argument for wanting a place on appeal some years ago but academic evidence was definitely the key...along with identifying why that school was the right fit for my son who had a late diagnosis of dyspraxia.
Can’tthinkofone

Post by Can’tthinkofone »

My DD got a place on appeal against oversubscription at a Glos grammar.

It was a long haul but so worth it.

We focussed on why it was the right school for her and provided evidence that backed up her academic ability. She also had disruption in the exam room.

Did you put the school down as your first choice on the CAF?

Also which school is it? PM me if you prefer not to say on here. Some of the schools have amended their admissions policies to give spaces to local children who have passed regardless of rank.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now