Unsuccessful review 119

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Woobywoo

Re: Unsuccessful review 119

Post by Woobywoo »

Hi Sebs
Having gone through an appeal after unsuccessful SR last year, I sympathise with your plight and the gathering of evidence. I think Etienne has linked you to our thread so I won’t repeat that. However, I would say that our DDs school used puma and pira and gave us scores eg 35/40. I was then able to do a bit of digging online and got access to age standardised scores for different year groups. We then provided a brief overview of what the scores meant (again from rising stars website Etienne has also given you).
Our primary school didn’t do cats so we had to rely on mock Sats and these puma/pira results - I think they helped us a lot.

Very best of luck.
Sebs

Post by Sebs »

Thank you for your message Woobywoo. I read your case thoroughly and must say it does provide comfort to those going through this ordeal right now. Even though I am not very hopeful regarding the outcome of the appeals, at least we know it is not impossible. Thank you for keeping in touch to provide guidance. It’s much appreciated.

I will try and get further explanation regarding Pima and Pura from DS’s class teacher. I am unable to figure out what the age calculations the school has provided mean, from the rising stars website. Maybe it’s just me. I hope DS’s teacher can provide a raw or Standardised score or a quick note explaining the result. In the meantime any insight into this will be very much appreciated x
Sebs

Post by Sebs »

Hi Etienne,
Hope you are well. We have now received the paperwork for the appeal and the schools case for prejudice. I think it is bad news for us as the school has stated that they have already taken 6 pupils above their PAN this year to relieve the pressure on school places. This is the first year this has been done and the pressure that has been placed on the school is now even greater than has ever been. It feels like this has made a difficult situation even worse. The schools case seems quite strong. Any advise on how to maybe tackle this or any questions to pose at Stage 1?

Any insight from any member who has encountered this issue in the past years or are in a similar situation will be truly appreciated too.
Thanks
Sebs
Here we go!

Post by Here we go! »

Hi Sebs

I think we will be in a similar situation. I haven’t yet received the schools case but they have just increased their intake and the head has warned he will be fighting hard not to take further students on. I will be very interested if anyone has any advice!

How long have you to wait for the appeal? We have over a month yet.

Wishing you all the best!
Sebs

Post by Sebs »

Hi,
Our stage 2 is over a month away but stage 1 is this week. It is frustrating that parents go through so much pain of collecting evidence and researching for hours, only to find that the school is already heavily oversubscribed and is genuinely unable to admit anymore pupils.

I wish you all the best too! I hope you receive a positive outcome.
Woobywoo

Post by Woobywoo »

That’s tough. Just my thoughts - am sure others will have better advice:

I’m sure you are doing this but definitely worth looking at the ‘numbers on roll’ for the year groups above this one to see if there is any wiggle room above the extra 6 you have been informed about this year. They will say they have no more space at all but there may be a year group that has one or two more children (more than the 6 added) and you could ask whether having that extra child /children has disadvantaged the children in that class. It will be hard for them to say it has.

You could also ask if they will be taking an extra 6 every year now. If they say yes then it shows a capacity for more children in school as a whole.

Woobywoo
Here we go!

Post by Here we go! »

Yes, that is frustrating.

Do you know how many generally get in on appeal and how many over pan they go each year? I wonder whether (assuming they do go over numbers each year) if it’s worth at stage one asking if they went over pan last year, when they say yes, asking how many health and safety incidents or children’s safeguarding alerts they reported as a result of going over pan? It seems that their argument is regarding prejudice caused by admitted extra children. I’m not that knowledgable but they are arguing that existing children are at risk if more pupils are taken on. If there have been no such incidents formally reported then this may weaken their case?

I don’t know though, maybe someone more knowledgable could advise.

Good luck and do let us know how it goes.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Sebs wrote:Hi Etienne,
Hope you are well. We have now received the paperwork for the appeal and the schools case for prejudice. I think it is bad news for us as the school has stated that they have already taken 6 pupils above their PAN this year to relieve the pressure on school places. This is the first year this has been done and the pressure that has been placed on the school is now even greater than has ever been. It feels like this has made a difficult situation even worse. The schools case seems quite strong. Any advise on how to maybe tackle this or any questions to pose at Stage 1?
Hi Sebs

Could you let me know when stage one will be, and, if time permits, send me a complete copy of the case: introduction, review arrangements, prejudice, net capacity appendix (if provided), admission rules.
Etienne
Sebs

Post by Sebs »

Hi Etienne,

Please check the appeals box. I have send the information on. Many thanks!
Sebs

Post by Sebs »

Woobywoo wrote:That’s tough. Just my thoughts - am sure others will have better advice:

I’m sure you are doing this but definitely worth looking at the ‘numbers on roll’ for the year groups above this one to see if there is any wiggle room above the extra 6 you have been informed about this year. They will say they have no more space at all but there may be a year group that has one or two more children (more than the 6 added) and you could ask whether having that extra child /children has disadvantaged the children in that class. It will be hard for them to say it has.

Woobywoo