Unsuccessful review 119

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Etienne

Re: Unsuccessful review 119

Post by Etienne »

Hi Sebs

I've looked at the paperwork, and confirm that I really cannot see any problem with the academic evidence - provided that the school was not over-optimistic with its '2' recommendations.
I note that the clerk's notes confirm that the SRP considered "Summary data for the pupils at .... school, showing the number of pupils recommended at the differing levels and the numbers that qualified in the test." If this is something you would rather not ask the headteacher about, you could consider writing to BCC under the heading "Freedom of Information" and request "a copy of the summary data for .... school, showing the number of pupils recommended at the differing levels and the numbers that qualified in the transfer test September 2018."

For extenuating circumstances I think the review panel (just like an appeal panel) would be looking for something likely to have affected performance on the day of the test - but where a near-miss such as 119 is concerned, I can't see why this would be a deciding factor, especially when other parents on here have reported winning a review without any extenuating circumstances at all.

However, for appeal purposes, my advice would be to skip over the extenuating circumstances (which the appeal panel will read about in the review paperwork anyway, so there's no need to labour the points), and simply say "He coped remarkably well with the problems he faced in Y5, and was given the highest possible predictions for KS2. Unfortunately the result of the Transfer Test seems to have been an unexpected 'blip'."

Would you copy below any specific questions you would like me to answer?
I only give advice on the forum.
Etienne
Sebs

Post by Sebs »

Thank you Etienne,
I really appreciate your comments.
1) can you advise of any FCO points we can raise? The reading age on the HT form was not accounted for in the SR decision letter. Instead the clerks notes said “no additional academic evidence was provided”? Was this not considered academic evidence or did they just miss it completely?
2) should the HT raise any FCO concerns? For example other pupils qualifying review with same academic evidence/recommendation?
3) is it acceptable for the HT to raise the recommendation from 2:2 to maybe a 2:1. Would this be helpful?
4) any specific wordings for the HT support letter which may be helpful?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Sebs wrote:Thank you Etienne,
I really appreciate your comments.
You're welcome. :)
1) can you advise of any FCO points we can raise?
The main one would be:
    • The panel accepted KS2 predictions which were the highest possible.
      There was a 2:2 recommendation, and a strong statement of support from headteacher.
      Why then was the academic evidence not considered sufficient?
      What academic criteria were used to arrive at a decision?
      If there were no criteria, how can the process be FCO?
See some other possibilities in the Bucks sticky:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 77#p656877" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The reading age on the HT form was not accounted for in the SR decision letter. Instead the clerks notes said “no additional academic evidence was provided”? Was this not considered academic evidence or did they just miss it completely?
The reading age on the form should ideally have been about 2 years above chronological age for grammar school entry, but I doubt that it affected the panel's decision. If they weren't happy with the reading age, they would have said so. I think it's an oversight.
However, it is not fair that the clerk's notes fail to show that this evidence received proper consideration.

For the appeal, be sure to quote the subsequent reading age (which is good).
2) should the HT raise any FCO concerns? For example other pupils qualifying review with same academic evidence/recommendation?
Yes, if that is his view, he is free to argue that in his professional opinion the review process was inconsistent because the evidence shows your son to be just as suitable for grammar school as others who were qualified at review.
3) is it acceptable for the HT to raise the recommendation from 2:2 to maybe a 2:1.
He cannot alter the original recommendation, but he could ask the panel to take into account that he would now recommend as a 2:1.
Would this be helpful?
Marginally. The first figure (ability) is much more important than the second (attitude).
It also depends how realistic his overall recommendations were.
4) any specific wordings for the HT support letter which may be helpful?
If he feels strongly, in his professional opinion, that it would be an injustice for your son not to be deemed qualified, he should say so.

See also:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b41" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Sebs

Post by Sebs »

Thanks Etienne,
I now have to dig into the last part of the appeal oversubscription and why this school.

I imagine this will be our biggest hurdle as we have no specific reason so far apart from the ability and suitability to GS.

I would be grateful for any insights and advise!
Sebs

Post by Sebs »

Hi Etienne,

Now that I have had a little more time to organise my findings ‘mainly from this website’ and have spoken to the HT about the appeal support letter, I will be starting to put our case together for the appeal. I really hope that you will be able to support me on this journey as I may have all kinds of questions including some silly ones. Hope this will be ok!

The parents guide of the appeals mentions that evidence will need to be provided if the child did not achieve 121 in the Maths or English components.

Ds scored 119
NVR: 126
VR: 118
Maths: 115

His strength of the score came from NVR, although his main academic strength lies in Maths, unfortunately this was not reflected in the exam. The HT and Maths teacher have both agreed this to be an anamoly and will be providing further evidence including scores he has achieved in exams since the 11+. They will also provide academic evidence for the verbal component, and mention that he was expected to score much higher in both Maths and VR. Can you please advise if there is anything else we can include that may be useful. I wonder if this situation will make the appeals process harder.

Just wondering if these scores had any impact on the review decision. In the FCO part can they argue at the appeal that this was the criteria applied to reach their decision. Nothing about the components of the results was mentioned in the SR decision. Pls help!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Sebs wrote:The parents guide of the appeals mentions that evidence will need to be provided if the child did not achieve 121 in the Maths or English components.
I suppose it's fair comment in so far as the most important subjects are maths and English.

It makes sense for you to assemble as much evidence as possible to show that the result in maths & English was a complete blip.

You already have excellent (and realistic) predictions for maths & English at KS2.
Can you please advise if there is anything else we can include that may be useful.
If the cost isn't too prohibitive, and since the school doesn't do CATs, you might possibly consider an EP report.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... ication#b3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not saying I necessarily recommend this. It's just a possibility, depending in part on how strong a case the school can put together for English and Maths.
Just wondering if these scores had any impact on the review decision.
I doubt it. Someone else's review decision included the statement "The panel noted .... did not qualify in two elements of the STTS". The two elements were maths & NVR, and the two scores were quite low.
In the FCO part can they argue at the appeal that this was the criteria applied to reach their decision.
I'd be very surprised if they did.
Nothing about the components of the results was mentioned in the SR decision.
Precisely! If this was a concern, they clearly had a set phrase ready to use: "The panel noted .... did not qualify in two elements of the STTS".
Etienne
Sebs

Post by Sebs »

Hi,
Thanks for your response.

As for the EP report I’m not sure that Ds will benefit from the extra stress this may impose on him.

As you said we already have very high predictions for KS2 which were accepted by SRP. Hopefully the further support from school will reinforce this. They are happy to fully support us as they believe Ds is highly suitable for GS on all levels. Can you please advise on what a strong case from the school may look like. We will be getting his new reading age as close to the appeal date as possible. SATs mock and other exam results with high scores. School reports from Yr 5 indicating strengths in all subjects. His Maths/English teacher will comment on him being in the top certain percentile in the top sets and his suitability to GS etc.

Did you mean the school doesn’t do CATs rather than SATs?

I’m relieved that this may not have jeopardised our FCO argument at least!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Sebs wrote:Can you please advise on what a strong case from the school may look like.
Some suggestions are in the Q&As:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b41" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We will be getting his new reading age as close to the appeal date as possible. SATs mock and other exam results with high scores. School reports from Yr 5 indicating strengths in all subjects. His Maths/English teacher will comment on him being in the top certain percentile in the top sets and his suitability to GS etc.
Good.
Did you mean the school doesn’t do CATs rather than SATs?
Yes! :oops:
I will amend. Thanks.
Etienne
Sebs

Post by Sebs »

Thank you Etienne for your invaluable advise. This process would be impossible to tackle without it!
Sebs

Post by Sebs »

Hi Etienne,

We have now collated most of the evidence from school for submission with the appeal. I am now in the process of writing the letter for the appeal form. I requested a paper appeal form as I always find it easier to work with paper rather than online forms. The paper form only has one section for the entire case presentation heading;

You must explain below why you are appealing. Please send any supporting evidence with this form.

This is very simple form compared to the online form which has separate sections for all 3 parts of the appeal and allows a typing space of 4000 words as a max limit. I am hoping that filling in a paper form will still be ok and should I stick to my original plan of having a short letter of submission as 4000 words in each section seem unreal?

Also can you please advise what points I should be raising in the FCO section of the submission. At present I am thinking of raising concerns about what objective criteria was applied when deciding that the maximum possible academic evidence provided by the school does not explain the shortfall of marks and the extenuating circumstances should not have affected yr 6 as the yr 5 results were not affected. The HT have strongly supported us in the letter on both of these points.

Should I leave the other points I wish to raise for the hearing eg.
1. Why was the Reading age not taken into consideration as academic evidence. Was this only what was missed or other important info also missed from the HT form.
2. How many other cases with STTS 119 scores actually provided extenuating circumstances. If not all then how is the process consistent etc

The FCO section is truly tripping me over. Not sure if I should include everything in the submission as the appeal Guide seem to want us to. Can I still say that the onus of proof for FCO lies with the Admissions Authority and not the parents?

Help pls!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now