Missed by 1 point Dartford Kent

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Vicky

Missed by 1 point Dartford Kent

Post by Vicky »

My son has missed Wilmington Grammar by one point. His scores were: VR 126, NVR 140 and Maths 114. I thought that the highest score you could achieve was 140 so am surprised that when the school appealed on our behalf in January they wouldn't have been able to overturn the decision based on 1 point. I don't know what his English score was but am presuming that this would have been his downfall? I'm being told his chances are excellent but don't know what's for the best. He has been given his third choice which he's pleased about, but I feel I should give it my all. Any advice? Thank you
kent

Post by kent »

Hi Vicky
Dont be disheartened about HT Appeal failing. Im yet to meet anyone whos HTs appeal has been successful!
I would suggest you definitely appeal.
My son missed by 1 last year with very similar high scores but our appeal was unsuccesful so its not a full gone conclusion that appeals one short will succeed, however we stuck at it and appealed for second school and got through.

With those scores, go for it!!!!
mazz

Appeals

Post by mazz »

Just found out that my son has passed his 11+ by headteacher appeal as he missed maths by 1 point too. Appeal the decision as his scores are so high. Try and get as much extra information as you can. Current reading age, end of year sats scores. Also talk to his teacher at the earliest opportunity, they can be really supportive.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Go for it - I would with these brilliant scores!
Worried Mum

Post by Worried Mum »

Hi Vicky,

I was in a very similar position to you this time last year with an NVR score of 140 and only missing the maths by 2 marks. Our primary school (under new headship) didn't appeal for anybody last year, so it was left to dear Mum and Dad. Fortunately the appeal panel were sympathetic and couldn't understand why the school hadn't appealed on our behalf. We were told that whether the school had appealed or not made no difference to our appeal and fortunately we were successful so go for it!! You should stand a good chance.

Worried Mum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now