Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
PinkyD

Unsuccessful Review, should we appeal?

Post by PinkyD »

Hi everyone,

My daughter achieved 117 in 11+ test.
We decided to go for a review with a HT recommendation of 3:2. Unfortunately, she did not meet the criteria for Reading and Writing at the end of Year 5. But, this year she has excelled and her HT predicted her 111-120 for Maths, which she has always been strong and 100-110 for Reading and expected standards for writing.
She had high CATS scores of 130 NVR ad 123 VR last year, with reading age of 14 years.

However, the review panel felt that the HT predictions were optimist given her previous score. She had friendship issues which were acknowledged by the school, but the review panel didn't feel that affected her score.

I would like advice on whether you feel it is worth going to appeal, as with her school work and assessment scores this year, we would be able to prove she is focused in her writing an reading.

I am fighter till the end and feel if there is another opportunity for me put forward my case, then why not. But, I would like there to be some hope and don't want to waste unnecessary energy.

Thank you
Blue_Marigold

Re: Unsuccessful Review, should we appeal?

Post by Blue_Marigold »

Sorry to hear your review was unsuccessful. I don’t know much about the appeal process but from reading this forum, I understand that you’ll first have to prove that the review was not fair, consistent or objective.

How do you feel about your local non-grammar school?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

there is some info in the FAQ about appealing after review https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b63" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

also Etienne's post (section D) https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 12&t=53659" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

We were in a similar situation a few years ago with a low HT rcommendation; we went straight to appeal for that reason (and were successful). I just wanted to say I think it is worth going to appeal if you feel it is the right thing for you and your DC... you have nothing to lose.

Good luck with your decision.
PinkyD

Post by PinkyD »

Thank you, I have read the guidance on here and its brilliant. I am putting a case forward for why I believe the appeal wasn't FOC, so let see what happens.

It is very reassuring to hear that their maybe a slight hope that we could succeed.
PinkyD

Post by PinkyD »

Blue_Marigold wrote:Sorry to hear your review was unsuccessful. I don’t know much about the appeal process but from reading this forum, I understand that you’ll first have to prove that the review was not fair, consistent or objective.

How do you feel about your local non-grammar school?
Its ok, but currently Ofsted "Requires Improvement", but we will consider the 12+ as she is keen to do it at the moment.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now