Clairecone's appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Etienne

Re: Clairecone's appeal

Post by Etienne »

Clairecone wrote:Thanks, Etienne. Out of interest, why does it sound like a Bucks review to you?
It's the use of the term "the elements" which is occurring in a lot of this year's Bucks review cases!
I notice from other cases on here that they've also criticised those who didn't qualify in two elements; and there's even one case where they've highlighted the failure to qualify in one element!!!
Etienne
Clairecone

Post by Clairecone »

Ugh, I’ve just had my Stage 2 appeal hearing. I don’t think it went very well. The panel wasn’t interested in the “process” of the selection review that was the same for everybody. Ie what academic criteria was used, how many marks a could be accounted for by differing circumstances, etc. They were only interested in why I though my particular review wasn’t FCO. I’m not sure if they agreed or not that the statement I had been struggling to understand was a problem.

My daughter only scored 103 on the test, but her academic evidence is excellent. The panel were very focused on the fact that the headteacher’s recommendations weren’t very accurate. They said she’d only got 1 in 55 recommendations right. She had predicted 10 1:1 and only 1 passed. They looked at all the recommendations as a whole. I know the teacher said to me that she would only expect the 1:1s to pass, perhaps she hadn’t understood the form. I will be just gutted if she isn’t qualified because of her headteacher recommendations. How do they know that in our case, it wasn’t correct?

They didn’t ask me at all about academic evidence and only briefly about why I wanted that particular school. Surely they have to disregard the headteacher and look at the actual evidence. I think they thought I was crazy appealing on 103, but I truly believe the timing of the test was just really unfortunate for my daughter. I hope they have a good look at her evidence. I just got the feeling that two of the panel members had already decided it was a waste of time.

Actually, I’ve just checked the headteacher’s recommendation sheet and the figure 55 was all of those in the grid, shaded and unshaded area. She had recommended 33 in the unshaded area, but it isn’t accurate to say she only got 1 in 55 right. Feeling very cross right now!! I feel as if the chair was trying to fob me off, instead of actually looking at the evidence.
Clairecone

Post by Clairecone »

Found out that this appeal was unsuccessful, but the second hearing I had for a different school was successful!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

... but the second hearing I had for a different school was successful!
Well done! :D
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now